Skip to main content

Greetings all. If I am posting in the wrong forum, I guess I'll find out soon enough, but obviously I hope this is an "open forum" question.
From a years ago post, I finally tried a chicken half technique that worked like a charm in my new AmeriQue. It used interesting temps...3 hours 15 minutes at 235°, and then you up the temp to 250° for a final 15 minutes.
I had coated the halves with some mayonnaise and a dry rub earlier in the day, and they went directly from the fridge, to the cold AmeriQue.

Anyway, since my chicken was off the charts delicious, I got to wondering how a split Duckling would do. My plan would be just a salt and peppering of the duck, and in, it would go. Curious/interested if anyone has a technique for doing bone in duck halves. I just think it would be a great way of rendering the fat out of the bird, without having to tip the fat out of a pan, as I do in our indoor oven. The fat would simply go into the drip pan. Additionally, I'm thinking that I wouldn't even need to prick the skin of the Duck. It just sounds so easy...guess I need some help with timing and temp...my plan would be to pass the duck under my broiler to get the skin crispy.

Thanks for reading this,
Jeff
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm so predictable.

If there is a forum, I'll move it and yes, duck is poultry Big Grin

You guys try to put it where you think. If everyone figures out where to put stuff then what will I have left to do?

The newbies tend to put everything in open, usually because they haven't noticed the individual forums we have.

No worries, keeps me busy.
Respectfully, I just don't see how a 15* increase for 15 minutes will have any effect on the final product.

As you might have read in the poultry section, chicken takes on smoke easily and the skin benefits from high temperatures. So, as a suggestion, I'd run the Amerique at 275-300* all the way. The chicken will finish much faster at the higher temps.
I totally get what you are saying. I just followed a recipe, and for we flipped for the chicken. In the past I've done 225° for the entire 3 1/2 hours, and have been mostly pleased, other than maybe a tinge of pink around the bone. This time there was no pink, and it was still incredibly moist and wonderful. Obviously, these little temperature tweaks aren't all that important in a Cookshack.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Respectfully, I just don't see how a 15* increase for 15 minutes will have any effect on the final product.

As you might have read in the poultry section, chicken takes on smoke easily and the skin benefits from high temperatures. So, as a suggestion, I'd run the Amerique at 275-300* all the way. The chicken will finish much faster at the higher temps.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.