Skip to main content

Here goes, my first post for the forum!!!

I have brined and smoked chicken breasts on my AmeriQue with the first bone attached for a customer. They must have the bone attached! The breast is done before the joint is done. Without overcooking the breasts, what suggestions are out there to make sure the wing/breast joint are cooked and the breast itself is not overcooked???? I realize a different smoker/grill will most likely be needed. I have thought - Maybe steam the breasts and cold smoke to get the smoke flavor???
Throwing another wrench in the mix, the customer wants to have grill marks on the breast too. Frowner Maybe a large pellet grill is needed!!!!! I look forward to your suggestions.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well I was gonna say I like to cook chicken with the skin on, I love seeing some crispy skin, it helps to keep the meat moister. I just tell my wife to pull the skin on her portion and give it to, what else, our chickens who LOVE it.

I like smoking the chicken first with some applewood and then grilling to finish cook and crisp up and put grill marks on the skin.

That is a tough order you have, essentially I think they call that an "Airline breast" with the first bone of the wing on it. Look it up on Yahoo. Yeah, airline breast.
My approach would be to grill them offset over charcoal, using wood chips for flavor. After marking them on the grill, foil the breasts leaving the wing exposed.

Another option would be (using the grill & offset charcoal) grilling them with the rib bones attached. This would slow down the heat transfer to the breast meat. Once done, removing the rib cage is quite easy to do.

Either of the above methods would work with a smoker but you wouldn't get the grill marks.

One fussy customer hehe.

And yes, these are referred to as Airline or Statler breasts (1st wing joint attached).

Welcome to the forum.
I'd brine the hell out of it, then proceed as normal. The brine would give you more margin for error. You can cook the breast longer to finish the joint, and the rest of it should stay moist. I think you looking at 10-15* higher like finishing the dark meat on the whole bird and having the breast stay moist. Brining should do it.

Bet Smokin would suggest the same.
Good suggestions from the experienced cooks above.

Hard to find a cook that doesn't brine chicken and the breast sure requires it.

Comp cooks for many years have carried a small Weber charcoal grill to finish their smoked chicken,just before turnin.

You have to watch OVER brining breasts,as you get a "wet paper towel" mouthfeel when you eat it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.