Skip to main content

Hi folks, my first post:
I've been struggeling for several years to find a method of cooking wild goose to assure moistness and tenderness!
Tried brining last night a young canadian goose cut in half with skin still on (2 1/4 pounds). I used 1 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar dissolved in 1 gal water and soaked for 5 hrs. and rinsed. I placed bacon on top just for added insurance. I used my smoker to wet smoke at a temp. of 175-200 F wih meat/skin side up. I cooked to an internal temp. of 140 F (digital meat thermometer) which took about 2 1/2 hrs.
Well folks, I was able to get it moist but it was still tough/chewy!!!! Do I give up and accept that wild goose is always going to be chewy or is there some secrets that someone is able to share? Confused
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Old Guy,

Every goose I ever had was similar to your results with some minor exceptions. These were not the domesticated birds you can buy but were wild geese that were farm raised and were some very old birds that my grandfather had around for the eggs. When they got old well they moved on to different circumstances (roasting pan).

They weren't brined at all. I just did not care for the results. They also seemed kinda gamey and oily for some reason...other folks thought they were fine but I was a young kid when we were having them and that was my memory.

Perhaps because these are larger birds they need a longer brining than a turkey or chicken? Is it possible since these are wild geese that they are much much leaner than the farm raised birds? If there is no fat in the meat, then the meat will be tough I beleive.

Also you cooked to an internal meat temperature of 140F and that seems very shy of safe cooking temps. Where did you measure that? In the breast? You should be at least 170F in the breast and 180F in the thigh. That may also account for the toughness.
Mornin',Old Guy.

I do 'em like uncleearnie does up at his restaurant.My little brother used to haul 'em in a lot.

I don't think ya can brine 'em too much.Three or four days is a good figure.Game is game,I reckon.

I kinda like injecting them after that,gives 'em a little Cajun flavor.

I'm like PrestonD,I'd take 'em up over 165� internal and use some fruitwood for flavor.

He headed on out to Missouri,so don't guess I'll have to mess with 'em for awhile.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.