Skip to main content

Ok, this is out there, I have a very nice older Jen-Air ( the one with cast brass burners and IR). It makes great rotisserie chicken. The IR crisps the skin nicely ... I was thinking it it would be possible to run a line off of the top of the SM025 to pump/direct smoke into the closed Jen-Air to impart some smoke while getting a crisp skin. I had thought about smoking first but setting up the rotisserie with a semi cooked bird I want to avoid. I've tried putting chips in foil etc but that doesn't work. Is this THAT Crazy an Idea?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was judging a comp one time up in Maine and was talking to a fellow judge about backyard cooking. I told him I had a CS and a homemade electric smoker. He said he just used his gas grill.

Seems an accomplished competitor told him to put a stick of smoking wood in close proximity to a burner on his grill and get it burning using the gas, then turn the grill down to low so it would smoulder.

He said he got great results from this method and because he was a dairy farmer his "wood" of choice for smoking was dried corn cobs.

Now this fellow, and his wife, were both seasoned CBJs and traveled a good ways to judge comps. I have no reason to doubt the man, and would try it myself for the heck of it if I didn't mind getting my Weber Summit all smokey inside.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.