Skip to main content

After all the ribs (St. Louis and Smokin's Dino Beef Ribs), my wife asked WHEN was I going to make her some smoked chicken thighs. She really likes them cooked this way, so I knew that if she asked, she wanted them for the next smoke! I brined them for 18 hrs in my Sweet Brine, patted dry, trimmed them up and applied a light dusting of Cookshack Spicy Chicken Rub. They were cooked in my FEC100 using hickory pellets. They turned out very tasty and juicy.

Brined.

Ready to cook.

Finished product.

Gotta have a nice side. Grilled Veggies, yellow and zuchini squash, onions, asparagus and portobello mushrooms.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The "Char" was not as dark as it appears in the photo. It was probably a combination of the "sugars" in the brine and the high temp of the cook. Also, position in the smoker, the pic is a good example of how the temp varies in the smoker. The skin was crispy and TASTY!! The best part was the smile on my wife's face, she loved it! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by fepc1000:
chicken looks really nice. every shelf on the fec cooks at the different temp?

Yup. Do a search on FEC temp mapping and you'll see a post about it.

Heat rises.

The lower shelf just above the heat will have a different temp than those above it. And a vent will affect the temp zones as well.
quote:
Originally posted by fepc1000:
chicken looks really nice. every shelf on the fec cooks at the different temp?

One easy way to check (you may find this on SEARCH)....

Buy youself some ready made Pillsbury Biscuits. You'll need 9-12 per rack. Arrange them on your racks and pre-heat the FEC as per baking instructions. When you're at temp, insert the biscuits and time according to instructions.

Have a camera ready and open the door. You'll see the results. Take notes accordingly. Toss any overdone biscuits and freeze the rest.

Added bonus...you're one step closer to biscuits and gravy....with smoked sausage, of course Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:

Buy youself some ready made Pillsbury Biscuits...

Added bonus...you're one step closer to biscuits and gravy....with smoked sausage, of course Smiler

Hey are you talking about white gravy??? Of course homemade "cat head" biscuits would be better. Max are you cookin', count me in!!?? You are making me drool.... Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.