Skip to main content

I have not used baking nails, but I have recently become a fan of spatchcocking a turkey, and would highly recommend it for any turkey unless "whole bird" presentation at the table is a must. Over the course of a week around Thanksgiving time I did 4 turkeys that way and had excellent results - when the white meat of the breast reached 160*+ the dark meat was 175*-180*, just where it should be. The weights of those turkeys ranged from 10-1/2lbs, 14-1/2lbs to 20-1/2lbs. Smoke times (using a FEC100) ranged from 3-1/2 hours to 4-1/2 hours, with the first 1/2 hour at smoker temp of 190* (trying and get more smoke flavor) and then bump smoker temp up to 275*. Previous smoke times for a whole bird (not split open) have been around 5-6 hours. Spatchcocking speeds-up the cooking times by spreading out the bird and allows heat & smoke more access to all surfaces.

Smokin' Okie has an excellent tutorial on how to spatchcock a turkey in the Turkey section of this Forum. It is not difficult to do, just take your time when doing it. I leave the leg/thigh quarters attached to the breast sections so the skin does not have a chance to peel back from the breast section. Spatchcocking is a great way to smoke a turkey - I highly recommend it!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.