Skip to main content

Hello all,

I have been reading all the posts I could find on cooking steaks on the pellet grill. I normally cook ribeye for me and a filet for my wife.

I think I understand that a reverse sear is cook on indirect first to a certain temp them over direct for a bit of crispiness and nice grill marks. A couple of questions I need help with:

1. What temp do you set your pit to, and do you use the same temp for both the cook and the sear?
2. What LHT/HHT do you recommend for each step?
3. For a steak that is between med rare and med what temp should the steaks be cooked to on indirect and then direct Final Temp?
4. Since I am used to cooking on a gasser/charcoal and steaks for me were about 6 mins a side for ribeye and 7 mins a side for small filet, how long can I expect the cook to take on the PG1000?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ribgasim,

Congratulations on the new cooker. I have been adjusting my temperatures, but not my cooking method since getting my PG1000. I will start off with a 20-30 minute smoke at 180-200*, LHT 10/HHT 40. I then move the meat to a pre-warmed plate in the warming drawer and increase the temperature to 475* with a LHT of 10/HHT of 70. My girlfriend likes a steak medium so I will place hers on the direct side to sear with mine remaining in the drawer. I usually cook on the direct side 1-2 minutes on one side, do a 45* rotation to make a cross hatch grill marks and repeat on the other side. I then place her steak in the #4 area and put mine on the direct side and cook the same for a nice medium rare. When my steak is done, her's is a perfect medium.

When I first bought the 1000, I would sear at 600-700+* and I did not like the flavor, or I should say, lack thereof. Since lowering my direct cooking temps, I get a more flavor of the smoke, the beef and any spices/herbs that may have been sprinkled on the steak prior to cooking. I believe that ultra high sear temps cook any flavoring...smoke, garlic, pepper, etc off of the meat either through evaporating the oils or the meat "sweating" them off in the juices.

Have fun and experiment until you get it like you want it. The PG1000 will do anything you want.

Cowley

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.