Skip to main content

I currently have a Chargriller with a side smoke box and use Hickory wood and smoke @ 250/275 for around 2 1/2 hours. I have my own rub. Up until a week ago I have never even heard of a pellet grill. So I am in a market for one. I had my eyes set on a MAK 2 star gen. But heard it doesn't get real hot. I like to sear steaks plus smoke ribs and Briskets. Anyways hoping to join you soon, it looks like the FE PG1000 is the one to get. Just curious if anyone has compared the two? MAK/FE.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The Mak is a nice grill but I really don't think there is a comparison. I looked hard at the Mak,Yoder and Fepg 500. I ended up with the Fast Eddy because it could just do more. Grill,charbroil, smoke, bake and cold smoke. Four zone cooking is a major plus. The thing is built like a tank and quality fit and finish. There is a slight learning curve with lht/hht adjustments but once you figure it out its a huge advantage.

Good luck with your decision.
Haven't used the Mak, so I wouldn't be the best to compare.

I can tell you about the 1000. It has full insulation in the hood and as such, deals with weather very well.

With the four zones, you can use multiple styles of cooking.

As far as temp. I regularly do pizza on a stone. I run the smoker/grill at hot temps and I'm able to get the stone temp up to 500 (takes a while for the stone to absorb that much heat).

I haven't IR'd mine for the max temp but searing works great. If you're wanting a specific temp, someone will probably speak up. Norday or Mack might have done so for a max temp.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.