Skip to main content

I've just taken delivery of a PG500. I ran a pork butt to season it. The pork tasted great to me, but my wife says the smoke flavor is not as good as what our SM025 puts out. By the time it was done, I smelled of hickory so I'm not a good judge. I need some experience to figure out what I'm doing with it.

I used cookshack hickory pellets @ 225 with a HHT of 30 on zone 4. Anyone have suggestions on increasing the smoke flavor? Maybe I'll try on zone 3 next time. Would mesquite be a stronger flavor?

Any suggestions?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
I hope you saw my response to your original post in the open forum.
Joe M

Sure did! I wasn't sure if Smokin was going to be able to move the post here so I did not reply.

For anyone that did not see the suggestions:

Two stage smoke starting at a lower temp (say 180 for 4 hours) then bump to 250 to finish.

Get 100% hickory pellets (PM Fast Eddy)

Blend in Mesquite Pellets (careful)

Get an AMAZEN PELLET SMOKER TUBE

Put cold meat in a cold smoker

I'll try the first two next time I do a cook. I have a PM out to Fast Eddy about the pellets and getting a stainless steel replacement for the cast iron one.
First cook was terrific! The pg500 is a fantastic piece of equipment. I'm very pleased with the quality of the craftsmanship. It's head over heals better than my Traeger. It consumes less pellets than my traeger and works effortlessly. I'm so happy I purchased this over a Mak because I think it would have been a pain to have to change setups between low and slow and searing.
quote:
Originally posted by olysmokes:
quote:
Originally posted by LowNSlow:
I have a PM out to Fast Eddy about the pellets and getting a stainless steel replacement for the cast iron one.

Let us know what Fast Eddy says about a Stainless Steel Replacement for the Cast Iron Grill.

I never heard back from him. I called cookshack and ordered from them - $120.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
I hope you saw my response to your original post in the open forum.
Joe M

Hi all,

After a few months experience, I can say that I can get pretty close to the smokiness that the electric smoker has. The amazen pellet smoker tube along with running the smoker at a very low setpoint seems to do the trick.

Most of the time I'm using it as a grill - its a great grill and seems to sip pellets at a slow rate.

Thanks!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by olysmokes:
quote:
I have a PM out to Fast Eddy about the pellets and getting a stainless steel replacement for the cast iron one.

Let us know what Fast Eddy says about a Stainless Steel Replacement for the Cast Iron Grill.

I never heard back from him. I called cookshack and ordered from them - $120.

Wow - Cookshack now offers a stainless steel replacement for the grill side grate?? I did call Cookshack. For now, their stainless grate is a welded bar grate - hoping to have a cast stainless grate available in the future.
Last edited by olysmokes

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.