Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have no trouble keeping my cast iron pans rust free but as careful as I can be with my zone 1 grates rust creeps in. It usually starts on the bottom or sides and spreads.

I have concluded that CI grates are not for me.

Another forum listed $60 plus shipping for direct side (zone 1) stainless steel grates available from heim20@aol.com. I saw photos. They look substantial.
Smiler

No, I don't leave my CI pans outside but I would bet that I could leave them inside the covered PG-500 and they wouldn't rust.

I think that what we call seasoning is oil coke. Oil coke burns. The CI grates are torched to very high temperatures—high enough to burn the seasoning off.

If I were to cook more frequently and cook items that leave a lot of grease I may be better off.

Regarding water in the sprayed mix: Not in the oil I sprayed. I used pure canola or flax oil sprayed from a Misto sprayer.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
Has anyone tried GrillGrates? They are Aluminum and they will cut them to size.

The problem with Grill Grates is they don't allow the proper air flow. There is a stainless grate option from Fast Eddie. I think it costs $60. I read a thread on another forum about it but don't think I can link that thread per forum rules. Try calling cookshack and ask them about it. I'm not sure if Fast Eddie is a visitor on this site or not to comment. Hopefully someone else sees this and chimes in.
quote:
Originally posted by Chacahoula Tiger:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
Has anyone tried GrillGrates? They are Aluminum and they will cut them to size.

The problem with Grill Grates is they don't allow the proper air flow. There is a stainless grate option from Fast Eddie. I think it costs $60. I read a thread on another forum about it but don't think I can link that thread per forum rules. Try calling cookshack and ask them about it. I'm not sure if Fast Eddie is a visitor on this site or not to comment. Hopefully someone else sees this and chimes in.

Not sure about Fast Eddie, but I know Fast Eddy is on the forum. Wink
He's always responded to my PMs.
Weber's stainless steel replacement grates #7527 will fit if you trim one bar off the side for width. Specs for those grates (sold as a pair) say 17-1/4" deep x 11-3/4" wide x 1/2" high. Weber parts are available at many hardware/home improvement stores, Amazon.com, and etc. Shop around as prices vary.

I would verify the space front to back of your grate channel recess/fire box to insure that the 17-1/4" grate depth is not too short as you don't want the grate to fall into the fire box. There may be some variations to that depth when manufacturing. My PG500 arrived needing the +17-1/2" deep cast iron grate to be slightly ground down to fit into the grate recess which varied from 17-5/8" to 17-1/2". The Weber grill grate that arrived today fits fine front to back but will need trimming for width as noted above.

As a further footnote and I apologize for getting off topic a bit , if you happen to use flax oil to season your cast iron grate (as suggested in a previous post by someone) and do so in a pan in your oven, be sure to line that pan with foil first as the flax oil bonds very strongly to an aluminum sheet pan and had to be scrapped off the pan using lots of elbow grease. First tried kitchen cleaning solutions, then solvents - even MEK, and nothing dissolved baked-on flax oil.
Last edited by olysmokes
quote:
Originally posted by Wilber:
Be careful with some brands of veg oil spray they have water in them. Look on the lable it will say on the ingredients list if it has water in it or not. If you use veg oil spray with water in it on cast it will still rust.

FYI
KIRKLAND (COSTCO) Cooking Spray has Water, PAM does not.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.