Skip to main content

Well I loaded up the PG500 and my SM025 in the back of the truck and headed north to Redding California for a family rebellion. Upon arrival and unloading I noticed the hinge to the PG500 door was no longer attached to the door. Still attached though to the unit. It appears the spot weld busted loose cleanly from the door. Not to worry though as the doors still shut just fine. Wonder what my fix will be. I don't weld. And I don't know anybody who does. I guess I would either have someone come over or take the whole unit to someone.

Here is what we BBQ'd on vacation. I was a huge hit. Even though they were family and love them dearly, they made my head very big with compliments. Of course I praised Cookshack and think I even sold a few units.

ABTs
Pulled Pork
Steaks
Almonds
Fattys
12 racks of St. Louis cut Ribs (6 in each unit)
Chicken

The units traveled well and performed flawlessly. They are safely home and back in their spots on the back porch. Fired them both up and everything is right in my world...well except for that hinge.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

One side note- My SMO25 resides under my patio in shade. At the rebellion it was in full sun and I didn't even think about that affect on the rib times. Well it did, and then I got a HOT notice in the digital read out. First time I ever saw that. So I moved it to shade with the help of a few others. Opened the door and let it cool down. Plugged it back in and it was humming again in no time. Even though those ribs finished faster, I was able to foil and hold them while the PG500 ribs caught up. No worries, nobody knew any different. Well except for the few who asked why some ribs had a smoke ring while others didn't. Their responses were the same though because they said they both tasted the same....hmm exactly.
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
...One side note- My SMO25 resides under my patio in shade. At the rebellion it was in full sun and I didn't even think about that affect on the rib times.....

Similar story: my SM025 resides in Phoenix where daytime highs have been near 110 degrees for weeks -- even in the shade. What I've noticed at the end of a cook is wood only partly burned and flavors somewhat less smoky than expected, perhaps because the heating element isn't running as hard as it would if ambient temps were cooler. Anyone else ever notice this? (I should probably repost this in a different section.)
Last edited by dws

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.