Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Since we will be elsewhere for Thanksgiving day, I did a 12-1/2# fresh turkey last night on my PG500.
Spatch-cocked, and then put butter w/ seasonings rub under skin on breast and more over fork perforated skin all over bird.
LHT=30, HHT=75. 275* set temp, used zone 4. Took about 3-1/4 hours to get to 165* in breast meat.
Very delicious!!
Warning, it did use a bunch of pellets, so check your hopper often - outside temps here in upper 40's with some wind, so lots of heat loss from this grill. But I do love that grill!!
I was reading several posts about doing turkey on the smoker/grill. I bought a 12 lb. turkey, brined it, and then deconstructed it. By that, I removed the breasts, wings, thighs, and drumsticks with a sharp knife. Carefully, separated the skin from the meat, and put sage/thyme seasoned butter in the space.

I then set up the PG500 with a water pan in zone 2, put cherry pellets in the hopper, and set it for 325 degrees (LHT/HHT 20/70). Once to temperature, put the turkey breasts and thighs on first, followed by drumsticks and finally the wings. Carefully checked temps on all pieces and removed each piece as it reached its ideal temperature. Had a foil pan in the warming drawer to accept each piece as it was ready.

It was moist, had a pleasing amount of smoke, and the herbed butter added a great flavor. Cooked quick, less than 2 hrs. and will do it again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.