Skip to main content

Hello All,

Anyone come up with an elegant solution to latch the hopper lid on a PG500?

On two occasions I have had the cover on my PG500 blow off and also pull the hopper lid open with it. The first time it was pouring so it made a huge mess. Second time it was just windy. Both times the hopper lid got a little bent not allowing it to close all the way which is my biggest worry. Thanks.

Chris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I bought 2 latches from Cookshack like they install on their FEC100's. Yes there was some drilling of the stainless to get the latches on and then the slots for the latches to hook into. The stainless steel they use for the PG500 is relatively easy to drill - just use low speed and lots of pressure.
Warning, Cookshack is rather proud on their latches, $$$$. Although one latch would be enough to secure the lid, I used 2 latches so I would not mess-up the nameplate decal they installed at middle of the hopper. (Sorry but I am too technically challenged to attach any pics of what I did.)
I'm sure you can find a similar latch from another supplier. I think Cookshack's are stainless which I wanted.

One thing I have noticed is I sometimes get a little condensation on bottom of hopper lid with it closed-up tight when weather conditions are right for it up here in the Pacific Northwet and the PG500 is running for more than an hour or so. Easy to open lid and wipe any condensation up with a paper towel.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.