Skip to main content

I used to make this all the time on my Weber Summit sear zone so first time with a pellet grill, thanks to the charbroiler in my FE PG500.

After removing the back and cuttle bone from the hens, I let the butterflied hens set with a rub on both sides.

I should note that Cornish Game Hens are NOT game hens but are just young chickens that, by law, must not exceed 2 lbs. in weight. Just a marketing name.

My Pacific Rim sauce is made with Hoisin, agave and pureed Apricot, among other things but those are the predominant flavors. This was the last of an older mixture.

I'll soon be reworking it to remove the agave and add a sugar free fruit syrup like black cherry or peach (Torani makes great, sweet sugar free syrups for snow cones et al) to complement the apricots. Gotta keep those blood sugar levels low. Smiler

I set the grill to 425°, with lht of 15 and hht of 125 and never expected the lht to kick in as I would be opening the doors often to turn and baste. 20 minutes to temp.

Open side down on the charbroiler to start, flip to crisp and color the skin at which time I glazed the open side.

Flip to char the glazed open side and put glaze on skin side up.

Transfer the two hens to a perforated grill pan and move it to Zone 2 just above the char broiler to set the glaze on the skin side up. 10 minutes later, apply a 2nd glaze and 5 minutes later put pan back on char broiler to sizzle and further crisp the bottom (the open inside of the hens.

Zone 2 (the 2nd hottest part of the grill next to the char broiler itself) does a great job of indirect cooking to finish the meat as well as providing enough heat to set any glaze or sauce on top.

That's it, about 30 minutes total, served with a mixture of roasted and steamed vegetables.

Shelly

Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.