Skip to main content

Thought I would share my first rib attempt on the PG500 with you all. These were St. Louis trimmed from CostCo.

Rubbed and in the smoker. Smoker at 250. LHT/HHT 10/75. Had a bit of a problem with the high swings, so I lowered it to 10/40 and went with 240 degrees. Much better.

I decided to use apple juice for the first time. So these are spritz in the beggining and after the 2 hour mark 3 hour mark and then every half hour after that.

This is at 2 hours.

This is 5 hours. I think I could have gone another 30 min. or so.

Sliced after 20 min. rest.

I thought these were my best ribs. My only change in recipe was the apple juice and the smoker. I appreciate any feedback or comments. Thanks!

Here is the PG500 with its new cover from Amazon. $34.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-...ds=veranda+bbq+cover

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but think my question might fit in. I am a cookshack fan and have both a 009 and a 045. My current grill is a gas grill. I really am not happy with it. I am just trying to decide on keeping it, or going to the PG500. I am just wondering if anyone has figured out how much money it costs to run a gas grill as opposed to the PG500 per BTU? Padrefan, How many pounds of wood pellets did you go through with the 5 hour cook? Is there a way to change the size of the indirect heat area and the direct heat area? Seeing your first 2 cooks has really gotten my intrest up.
So far I have done 6 cooks lasting approximately 16 hours. I went through one 20 pound bag of pellets. I found a place that has them for $18 a bag here in town. On Ebay they cost about $40 shipped. So finding a local company that carries them will be the best.

I don't think my numbers are truly fair as everything except the ribs has been at high temp 350 degrees or higher. My 16 hours includes the 2 hour seasoning. When I bought the Grill I assumed it would be closer to a pound an hour. I assume that will get closer as I dial it in better and get some more experience.

I really don't see how the numbers are going to be better then gas. But perhaps someone else has some numbers.

Sometimes your old reliable Chevy gets traded in for a BMW. Or perhaps you just park the Chevy in the garage. The gas mileage isn't better in the BMW because you have to run premium. But, you can afford the BMW and always wanted one...Just saying.
It's very simple. Just open the door and fill your bucket. It was a little sloppy at first. I suspect it will be easier the next time.

As a side note, if you are anything like me you will experiment with different woods and then stick with one that works for everything. I like Hickory or Pecan. I will probably stick with Hickory for everything.
Don't know if you're in to or can store a bunch of pellets, but Candy Sue at BBQ delight can cut you a sweet deal on a half or full ton. I ordered one about a year ago. Lots cheaper. Also

I'm likin what I'm hearing on the PG500. I need a good direct cooking device for steaks and such to supplement my FEC 100.

Your ribs look amazing!!! Keep up the great work.
Thanks Chaplain- I actually have been contacted about becoming a sales rep for pellets. I am on the fence right now, as I just don't see the profit margin with shipping etc. I mean how can you compete with Charcoal store. Free shipping at $20 a bag?

I cooked some Rib eye steaks last night for the Halloween crowd. Got lots of compliments but I was disapointed. I need to get the grill hotter. 400 degrees just wasn't enough. The flavor was great though and the were medium rare. I got good grill marks but just not that sear I wanted. Not the machines fault though. I need to crank it up to 600 and start with cold steaks. That's what makes it great. All the trial and error.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.