Skip to main content

I went to do some steaks two nights ago. Heated the unit up to 400 degrees. Opened it to find a fire going in areas around the fire cup. I have always wondered when that was going to happen because so many pellets get dropped outside of the cup. It wasn't horrible so I threw the steaks on and they were fine.

Last night I decided to clean the entire inside. WOW, I had grease everywhere. The worst spot was under the warming tray on the right side. It was full of grease. Why doesn't the tray extend the entire length of underneath the grill to catch the grease?

No grease fire last night for my tri-tip. Used Mesquite pellets for the first time. AMAZING!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by lcubed:
i initially found a lot of grease under the warming tray and the ash pan. carefully releveling the pg500 front to back seems to have solved that problem. on the warming drawer side, the grease was flowing over the back edge of the drip channel instead of going down to the grease bucket.

Do you have the front casters on your unit?
quote:
Originally posted by GaryT:
quote:
i initially found a lot of grease under the warming tray and the ash pan. carefully releveling the pg500 front to back seems to have solved that problem. on the warming drawer side, the grease was flowing over the back edge of the drip channel instead of going down to the grease bucket.

I level mine at the comps and it has no casters. In fact, it takes nothing but a leveled space.
quote:
quote:

i've got casters on the RHD side of the unit and my patio has a front/back slope, so my pg500 needs both L/R and Front/Back leveling.

quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:
quote:

I level mine at the comps and it has no casters. In fact, it takes nothing but a leveled space.

I have the casters on the rt side, shelf side, which makes it tilt to the left. I asked CS when we discovered the grease under the fire pot and they could not figure out how it would get under there. I suggested that maybe the casters were the cause and they said that it should make no difference.
It's got me beat!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:
quote:

I have the casters on the rt side, shelf side, which makes it tilt to the left. I asked CS when we discovered the grease under the fire pot and they could not figure out how it would get under there. I suggested that maybe the casters were the cause and they said that it should make no difference.
It's got me beat!

If it's not level front to back, I suspect that the grease follows the bottom of the grate to the edge and then runs on the rails that hold the grate to the low end, which would be your left. It then gets on the side of the smoker and goes to the bottom....just a guess!

Like I said, at comps, my FEC and PG500 is always level both ways...I use a half pan with 1/4" of water in it, to use to level both.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.