Skip to main content

Much as I would love to get the Cookshack, it is well beyond my budget. Are there any consumer oriented pellet grills that will run <$1500? I've got my Cookshack for smoking so I'm looking more for a dedicated grill and like the temp control the pellets offer over using a standard charcoal grill. Thanks in advance.
Smiler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A Traeger Lil Tex will set you back around $800. The standard control board provides 3 heat settings: SMOKE-MED-HI. An optional digital board can be swapped in for $200 that will provide 25o increments from 200 - 450.

It will turn out decent chicken and ribs. Steaks and chops are doable but you won't get a char...mine won't get above 390o. Just not enough heat output.

I've done brisket and PB's on mine, in the past, but end product lacks smoke flavor. The smoke chamber isn't very air tight.

Overall, it fits into the "you get what you pay for" category.
There are many grills out there, but it's kinda hard to come in a CS forum and ask for alternatives, isn't it?

Key is the lower price also means lower quality. Something will be lacking. Not good, not bad, just lacking. The traegers have zero insulation and simple controls so there is some points there.

There are several other manufacturers out there. You might stop by Pellethead forum as I think they have forums for most of the makers out there and might be able to help.

Hate to send you there, but they have more diversity of pellet owners and might be a good source of info.
Thanks SmokinOkie. Yeah, it's tough to ask for alternatives, but I am a Cookshack owner and probably wouldn't be asking here about alternatives if Cookshack also made consumer versions of a pellet grill just like they make consumer verions of their smokers in addition to commercial versions. For me, the luxury of a commercial unit for the amount of I'll be using it is a little too hard to justify. Smiler
I can understand your concerns, and I had the same concern before I got my grill, but I've cooked for good size groups on this thing...

Check out examples my blog... (click on my username and there will be a link in my profile)

I hate to send you to other boards but (smokin' remove this if needed) this post demonstrates some volume on the PG1000 - Cooking for a Large Group on the PG1000

This is a great grill and you can put out a ton of food.

Good luck in your search, and as Smokin' said most of the info/users on this board are going to be able to give good info on Cookshack products, but there is lots of info on other cookers at pelletheads.

Regardless, pellet grills in general put out some great food and you'll be glad you went with a pellet cooker.

Nordy
Last edited by nordy
quote:
Originally posted by socal55:
I'm sure that it is great. The only downside to the PG 1000 (and it is $2600 and out of my budget)is that the direct cooking area is only 10x18 in. Not enough cooking space if the extending family is over and you're grilling steaks and vegetables.

Keep in mind that the direct grilling area on a Traeger is 0x0. As Nordy said, there are ways you can grill more on the 1000 than you think.
Ok I guess I'll give my 2 cents on this one. I really contiplated buying a pellet grill or a charbroiler and simply couldnt come up with the funds. So I started researching and found a grill style called a Santa Maria which is used alot in California for tri-tips. I have begun building mine and for less then $400 my grill will be a 60X32 with a 20X40 split grill. Now what makes this unique to me is you build your fire in the bottom of it and the grate where you put your meat on is completely adjustable. So you want to cook hot just drop your grate down close to the fire and you got it. Here is a pic of what one looks like.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • pic_1

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.