Skip to main content

I have to say I found this forum by doing some common research on Google about BBQ. I love BBQ and when I get to go to Memphis I never leave disappointed. However where I live there isn't any BBQ except one place which I really consider to be consistently good. Last year I bought a Weber Bullet which is alright but it didn't exactly make the best BBQ if you didn't have a lot of experience in using that small smoker. It's more the cook than the tool, I know.

So let's fast forward to today after I've spent a couple of weeks reading on the forums both here and at another pellet related forum. First of all, everyone is just so nice and helpful. Really nice to see so many pics of good food, recipes, and words of encouragement. So with that said I stepped up my game.

I emailed Karen on Monday to get a quote on a PG1000, 160lbs of pellets (120lbs of Hickory + the 40lbs it comes with and 40lbs of Fruit wood), and a variety of rubs/sauces. All told she gave me a quote promptly, everything looked great, so I gave her a call today and placed the order. I read the nice things about Cookshack and Karen on the forums, but I have to just confirm that it was a very pleasant experience. She was more than helpful and friendly. I didn't feel like I was buying something, more felt like I was talking to an old friend. Smiler

Anyhow the lead time is looking to be around the 18th of August which gives me plenty of time to enjoy some good summer BBQ. I'm saving off Tri-Tip, Pork Butt, Ribs, BBQ Beans, and Pizza recipes as I find them. I contacted Scott at Frogmats to get those ordered up for my new grill as well.

All told I can't say I thought I'd be spending this much money on my first (well second) smoker/cooker, but it's not often you see so many universally positive reviews of a product from people who are using it nearly everyday. Sometimes you have to pay to play and I don't think I'll regret it one bit. I actually had considered the FEC100 at first, but later switched to the PG1000 because of the versatility it offers in backyard grilling and smoking.

Now I sit and wait....
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by bborzell:
Looks like we ordered about the same time and from the same general geographic area (I am up the I-80 hill in Colfax). Has yours shipped yet?

My order shipped today and according to Fedex it should be delivered on the 11th. I'll call the local Fedex service center on Monday or Tuesday to arrange the delivery date since it's a residential delivery.

I can't wait.
quote:
Originally posted by unixadm:
quote:
Originally posted by bborzell:
Looks like we ordered about the same time and from the same general geographic area (I am up the I-80 hill in Colfax). Has yours shipped yet?

My order shipped today and according to Fedex it should be delivered on the 11th. I'll call the local Fedex service center on Monday or Tuesday to arrange the delivery date since it's a residential delivery.

I can't wait.

Sounds like our grills are traveling together. Mine is due on the 11th, too.

I called Fedex today to ensure that they send a bobtail instead of a tractor/trailer rig. My driveway is 300 feet long and uphill. The loop was designed to handle a forestry pumper truck, but it won't handle a tractor/trailer rig.

Last month I had a standby generator delivered and the shipper screwed up and didn't send the bobtail as promised. We ended up pulling the generator on the pallet jack with my truck all the way up to the house. Don't want to repeat that.
I received my Fast Eddy PG1000 today from Cookshack. Fedex Freight took it easy on it and everything arrived in tact. I was missing four nuts and two screws, but otherwise everything was good to go. The only other issue was the manual was missing every other page which made for fast reading! LOL.

I got the wheels on and improvised attaching the smokestack onto the cooker for this evening with some screws and nuts that I had on hand. Cookshack is going to send me the parts I need.

I got it fired up a little over an hour ago and am breaking it in at 250 degrees for 4-5 hours. You know you're doing it right if you smell like heavy smoke already. I am very pleased with the build quality and the heft of the cooker. It seems to be well insulated and is running well. My ET-73 is reporting around 30-40 degree temp swings at the default settings while it's empty.

I also bought rubs, sauces and extra pellets so I have enough stuff on hand to experiment for a few weeks. My Frogmats fit just fine and I purchased some porcelain and non-stick grill grids for cooking burgers and veggies I'm going to try out. I also have a pizza stone which will fit nicely and the nice cover from Amazon.com that everyone recommends. I'm pretty well dialed in but I see a WiFi stoker in my future.

I followed JavaJoeKC's recipe (at pelletheads dot com) for burgers as my first cook. Results were fantastic!

I used a porcelain coated grid to cook four strips of cheap grocery store brand hickory smoked bacon on the lower indirect side at 325 degrees for around 35 minutes. I did that while I was cooking two sweet white corn on the cobs that I dehusked, cut three slivers of butter, and a sprinkle of seasoned salt. I then wrapped them tightly in foil and cooked at 325 on the middle of the upper rack for 45 minutes at 325.

Before I even get to the burgers, the bacon was the best I've ever eaten. Wow - so tasty. I just had to get that out of the way.

I had my butcher grind up a chuck roast for me and used that fresh grind to make my burgers JavaJoeKC's way. I followed everything to a T except I halved the garlic and added a sprinkle of onion powder. I didn't realize this cooker cooks so fast (was running at 455 degrees on the controller) and by the time I did my first ThermaPen the burger (solo tonight) was already into the lower 140's. I moved the grid down to the direct side and flipped the burger after one minute, covered with medium cheddar cheese and then pulled it off the cooker.

I used Kraft chipotle mayo with fresh lettuce and avocado. Topped the burger with the smoked bacon and enjoyed two corn on the cobs that tasted excellent with a little bit of avocado on the side just because it wouldn't all fit on the burger! What a real treat and I was impressed for it being my first cook on the PG1000.

So what about the burger? It was AWESOME! Thankfully the chuck plus the butter didn't dry out even though I over cooked it a bit. Live and learn but it was still the best burger I've ever cooked and one of the best I've ever had. I know if I served these at my house on a BBQ night I it would be awfully quiet because people would be stuffing their faces. Great recipe for sure. I made five other patties at the same time with my burger press so I'll do this again tomorrow night and I used my FoodSaver to package the rest for a later date.

After first cook - the shininess didn't last very long! Smiler

Couple of pics of the new cooker after it's first use and the cover I picked up.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.