Skip to main content

Ran out of room on the FEC100 last night, so I did my 1st brisket on the PG500.

Injected it with Butchers Prime brisket injection at 2:00 went ahead and rubbed it with some Smokin Guns hot rub. Started the smoker up at 8:30pm to let it warm up. The settings were 15/65 with temp setting at 225*.

Put the brisket, a 14lb Creekstone Prime, on at 9:00pm for a over night smoke.

Got up bright and early at 5:00am and checked it, the brisket was at 162*, so I wrapped in double foil with about 1/2 cup of marinate. At 7:00am the brisket hit 190*, so I turned the smoker up to 250*.

Pulled the brisket off when it probed tender at about 7:45am. For all of you that gets caught up in finish temps it was about 205* in the thickest part of the flat.

I gave it 10 minutes of vent time, then a couple hours in the cooler, opened the foil to let the brisket cool enough to slice.

PERFECT! Wish I had taken pics, maybe next time. Hard to beat those Creekstones for taste and texture.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by socal55:
How much of a difference do you notice between brisket that is foiled for the last 30-40 deg of cooking vs unfoiled the entire cook?

I'll answer that from my perspective. It's all about the bark. If I want a good, solid, crunchy bark, then it spends zero time in the foil. Foil will trap liquid which WILL steam the outside. Just keep that in mind and think about the end result. If you want a softer bark, foil will do that. Too long in the foil will leave you a mushy bark.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.