Skip to main content

So, I got a question via IM, wanted to share.

Basically wanted to know how I do lobster.

I use the PG1000. Set it for 250 and put the lobsters on the indirect. Want them to pick up a little smoke.

I'll make a compound butter, but skim the cream off (cream is what burns) so basically just make some clarified butter with a little spice, garlice and parsley for color.

I'll "smoke" them for 30 min to 1 (depends on size).

The brush the butter on them, and put them face down on the direct size. Grill for color/grill marks.

Keep an eye on temp of the lobster itself. Don't let it get above 150 to 160 or it will be tough.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I usually grab the smaller tails (5oz or so) and split them in half down the length of the underside.

Sprinkle S&P on the exposed raw meat and brush with melted butter.

Grill meat-side down on a hot grill for about 3 minutes or so getting good sear marks. The butter may flare so keep watch with water bottle to suppress excessive flame ups.

Flip tails over so that the meat is facing up and level. Generously baste with more melted butter as to provide a little bit of liquid for lobster meat to simmer in. Grill for about 3-4 more minutes.

You will not need additional butter for dipping as the lobster has been cooked IN butter, IN it's own shell!

If you wish, make a chive compound butter for basting. That kicks the lobster from Really Good to REEEEEALLY Good!
I pretty much follow the same procedure as Xtra Pale Ale when doing tails. Split the tails down to near the shell, brush melted butter on the meat, and grill it meat side down down for 2-3 minutes. Flip the tail meat side up, brush more melted butter, and grill for approximately 2-3 minutes. I pull the tails off the grill at 140F internal, wrap each one tightly in foil and rest for 10 minutes, then serve.

However, prior to grilling, I run thin metal skewers through the meat to keep the tails from curling when cooking. Then I steam them for around 2 minutes per side which helps from having them toughen up when grilling. Also, the melted butter always contains some minced garlic along with whatever herbs and spices appeal to me at the time.

I have tried pre-smoking the tails a couple times prior to grilling and the results were poor. The smoke overpowered the taste of the meat. I may try it again in the well seasoned smoker without any wood.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.