Skip to main content

Ok guys, leavin the jambo at home next contest and bringing the FE100 and FEPG500 this time. Never used the 500 at a contest and am planning to cook my chicken on it. My question is what is the best procedure zone-wise. My first thought is to cook it in zone 4 and finsh it on zone 1, skin up the entire process? I know some people are having great success with these units at comps so any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Kase
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'd say start practicing today, don't go to the contest without having it down. Chicken is cheap, but contests arent', so don't wait until an event to get ready (which is why I think you're asking).

You may not get a lot of people telling you how they do it, mainly because most of those guys aren't in the forum. 1 or 2 maybe.

You need to match it with your profile. So think smoke first then finish with the direct side. Most people even without the PG tend to have some grill handy to set the skin and sauce.
Thanks. SO...

I'm finalizing my "practice cooks" for the next few weeks... It's going to be a chicken fest at my place...

I will definitely be doing some of the things you mentioned. I know finishing temp was a big issue... got that fixed... I may have to switch up my brine...

So many options...

And Smokin' you're a big fan of scraping skin and meat glue right? Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Nordy:
And Smokin' you're a big fan of scraping skin and meat glue right? Smiler

uh... no and don't get me started. Shoot, even "grillin'" chicken isn't BBq to me (yes, it's over wood I know)

Oh, and if you're cooking dark meat, the finish temp IS a big thing to practice. Think tenderness.
quote:
Originally posted by Nordy:
I'm finalizing my "practice cooks" for the next few weeks... It's going to be a chicken fest at my place...

I've been eatin' chicken and ribs for the last two months, oh well. I'd like to think it was healthy, but I know better...LOL!

I do have a freezer about full of rib tips, but I'll do another thread on that shortly.
I have done a few practice cooks already and it seems pretty good but like many cooks, my worst critic is myself. Did pretty good in chicky last year and top 10 finish in last contest this year but this will be first time with fepg 500. I'm happy with my brine, rub and sauce. I've been starting them on zone 4 @ 275* till basically done, saucing and moving to zone 1 for brief period of time to set the sauce and just a little char on the bottom. Thinkin next practice may throw zone 3 in the mix.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.