Skip to main content

I just got my PG500 and wondered what are the common temps to set it at when grilling steaks, chicken, burgers etc. when using the direct side? I am used to my 'gasser-grills' where you have High, Medium & Low settings, but not specific temperature settings. I am thinking 350 or so would be a common temp to set the grill to.

Also I was planning on using a two-stage heat/smoke method for many of the foods I want to cook. First setting temp at 225* or so with food on indirect side, then bumping temp to 325* or 350* and switching food to direct side to finish. Is that a good way to do go or is it best to just set the grill to the higher temp, smoke a bit on indirect side and then transfer to direct side?

I have a few years experience first using an Amerique & now a FEC100 smoker so I understand the smoking process fairly well, but have a few questions regarding the new PG500 addition.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'am in the same boat. I have had my PG1000 just over a week and have gone through 20lbs of pellets. All food was good but some not what I wanted. So the learning curve is starting.

I decided on 400 for direct and see what happens, 190 for smoke, 325 for indriect, 450 for pizza (which I haven't got to)

Still trying to figure out plans and temps for zoned cooking. Plan to start simple and keep working up.
Check out all of the FEPG 1000/500 clips in the CS Video Cooking Classroom. Fast Eddy explains LHt/Hht and shows how Hht effects the fire/direct side. I'm new to this too but so far, the direct side is so much hotter than my Weber Gas Grill that I don't plan on doing Chicken direct. Direct makes a mean steak and burger machine!
Here is my technique that I am happy with.

Thick New York Steaks. Indirect at 225 until internal of 115 degrees. Then direct at 400 degrees. 2-3 minutes each side. Medium rare.

Chicken- 375 degrees indirect until done. This Is my absolute favorite for thighs. Crispy skin and a mild smoke flavor.

Burgers- See steaks. Only 90 sec. per side on direct.
I had previously read Nordy's excellent post and watched Fast Eddy's video so I understand the concept of the LHT & HHT settings and adjustments, although I have not yet found what is best for me. First cook I did have two flame-outs when temp was set to 190* during a two-stage cook of Tri-Tip, but it re-ignited once temp dropped to 150* or so. LHT & HHT settings have been adjusted from factory settings now.

Looks like 375-400* is the preferred temp when cooking on the direct side. Thanks for the info Padrefan - I have read many of your posts and trust your experience.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.