Skip to main content

I don't get too fussed about overshooting the target temp. It always does by 20, even as much as 40 degrees, but then settles down around where I want. Except today.

Smoking a turkey, started it off at 170, LHT 10, HHT 50, to get a little extra smoke on it. I started it, let it run for a little, until the my probe on the grate read 215. Put the bird on and let it go for a half an hour. When I looked again, it was holding steady at 305! Could something be wrong with my controller? There's a raging fire in the fire pot.

The pit is in the shade, and it's a beautiful 80 degrees here. Anybody seen this before? 20 degrees of overshoot is fine, 130 is not right?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When the pellet pot empties when using low temps and the unit begins to replenish pellets, infrequently many pellets accumulate before catching fire and then you get a burst of heat sending it far past the temp you're shooting for. I generally smoke at 200 degrees with a LHT of 5 and HHT of 25. At HHT 25, the pellets won't accumulate so fast as they will at HHT 50 and you shouldn't overshoot so much.
When you say "let it run for a little", how long are you talking? With the 500 compared to the 1000, you need more time for the temp to settle in (minimum 20 minutes). Then you put cold meat in and it dumps more pellets to catch up. The amount of time you have it open to put the meat in will also contribute to overshoot.
I'd never try to tell a fine cook how he should be using a smoker, but this is just my experience with the PG500.

I've tried a low setting a few times, but have come to figure out that this smoker will put out enough smoke without having to do low smoke settings or I should say it does for me.

The quality of your pellet will come into play when smoking at 170*.
Thanks, DDB.

Joe, I probably let it run for 15 minutes. The first 5-10 I had the doors open, I read on one of these forums to start the pit with the doors open, then closed it for the remaining 5-10. So maybe that caused it to work harder which led to the overshoot?

Cal, no one would ever mistake me for a fine cook! I'll take all the help I can get. The pellets were Nature's Way cherry. If you were running at 325*, what settings would you use? I find that if I'm trying to hold higher temps I see less smoke.
quote:
originally posted by DL:
Cal, no one would ever mistake me for a fine cook! I'll take all the help I can get. The pellets were Nature's Way cherry. If you were running at 325*, what settings would you use? I find that if I'm trying to hold higher temps I see less smoke.

I use 15/65(LLT/HTT) for all my smoking from 225*-325*. If I'm cooking at 325* or a little higher I would change to 75 HHT or if I was cooking at 200* I would change to 45 HHT....but hey I put it on and leave it at 15/65, thats just me though.

I also use either Cookshack or BBQers Delight pellets, very low moisture content and no bark/filler.
I am using 15/30 for 200-225. I rarely go lower then 200. And I use 375-400 a lot for Chicken on zone 4 and steaks in zone 1. For that range I use 15-90. I only use BBq delight. A few times I needed some pellets in a pinch and bought something from Lowes. My settings no longer worked for those pellets. So I am guessing unless you use the same pellets we do with our settings, and air conditions you wont have the same result. It's all about getting to know your machine and your pellets.

I still like to go back and read this post by Nordy. It helps when I use a temp that I am not used too.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...262941417#7262941417
quote:
Originally posted by DLax96:
...I find that if I'm trying to hold higher temps I see less smoke.

That will always be the case. The higher the temps the "quicker" the pellets burn and there is less smoke.

That's why you see a lot about 2 stage cooking. Lower temps for smoke flavor and higher temps to finish.
SmokinOkie, that 2 stage cooking is actually what I was going for in this case. What I now think happened is that the fire went out, so it went through the re-ignition process and got very hot. By the way, it didn't affect my cook at all, the turkey came out great!

I'll continue to play around with the right combinations for my unit on low temps, I take pretty good notes so hopefully I can zero in on what works. The hard part for me is I live in Connecticut, and I have yet to find a good local source of pellets. I've been having them shipped and been basing my purchases on the best deal I can find, so I have a real hodgepodge of pellets to go through. Oh well, a fun problem to have to sort out.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!
quote:
Originally posted by DL:
SmokinOkie, that 2 stage cooking is actually what I was going for in this case. What I now think happened is that the fire went out, so it went through the re-ignition process and got very hot. By the way, it didn't affect my cook at all, the turkey came out great!

Bingo, I'm sure you are correct!

I can get more smoke at 250* with 15/65 settings on the PG500 then I can by doing a two stage approach on the FEC100...just sayin'
quote:
Originally posted by DLax96:
The hard part for me is I live in Connecticut, and I have yet to find a good local source of pellets.

Not sure where in CT you are, but Cookinpellets.com has a dealer in Southington CT & one in Feeding MA. Heard good things about these pellets, it's the next bag on my list to try out. Not sure what their pickup price is out there, but I picked up a 40# bag of the perfect mix at a local dealer here for $25.

Padre, there's also a dealer right near you in El Cajon if you're interested.

There's also a Lumberjack pellet dealer in Enfield CT. $25 for a 40# bag. I liked their 100% Cherry and have a couple bags of their MHC & MBC blends to try out.
Last edited by andyj

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.