Skip to main content

Hey Folks,

I'm considering buying a pellet cooker. I've looked at both but would like some feedback.

I have a FEC so I really only want one to do small batch cooks and maybe take to comps for chicken.

Do you think a PG500 would work in this area?
My main concern in the 500 is the small direct area for steaks, burgers etc. and I'm not sure if the yoder one is any larger for that matter.

Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

PG500 and 1000 have the same grill footprint (it's the features that change). I don't have a 500, but they tell me it's the same internal dimensions, just a bigger hopper and a warming bin I think.

Love my PG, I do smoke on it when I only have one or two items.

Don't know anyone that has a yoder, its brand new on the market this year.

This gets asked often enough, what I'd ask is what do you plan on cook on it.

For a grill, get a CB (hey, you can afford it)

For a combo, the FEPG works great. I find that the limited grilling area just means you have to swap out. Example. Start everything in zone 4 (indirect) and then bring to zone one for grilling. Swap until you get through everything.

Like a chef does he's get grill marks on a steak but finish in an oven.

Really comes down to quanity. How much of what do you want to cook. Do you want this to compete with or at the house.

Lots of questions, no easy answers, but I'll ask any you have.
I want to use it at comps for chicken and maybe to set sauce on ribs and cook dinner, etc.

At home I would like a pellet gril to do maybe a couple of butts, or a couple of ribs, or a brisket for practice of flavor. I want to stay pellet so it will duplicate the wood that I will use at a comp.

Other issue is that the website says PG500 is backordered and the PG1000 is a grand higher than the 500 and the yoder.....

I could need one very soon if you know what I mean........
The indirect side will be perfect for setting sauce unless you're wanting to get grill marks.

Don't know about BO, you could call CS and ask, tell Stuart you need it by Midwest City.

I have an old FEPG1000 I want to get rid of, it's the "pre-CS" version from Danson's, needs a little metal work on the ramp. If you want to talk that, IM me or email me.
The PG1000 is a great chicken cooker... I also use mine for, like you said, a few racks of ribs, couple of butts or brisket... Use my FEC100 for bigger cooks.

I also will use the PG1000 at comps for a place to start ribs if my big cuts are running a little behind... then transfer them to the FEC100 when its time for chicken.

I haven't had any issues with the direct side being too small. But I also haven't cooked burgers or steaks for more than about 12 people. It does require a little grill management though.

It has been a while since I've seen the Yoder... If I remember right it doesn't have a true charbroiler area like the PG does. IMHO the charbroiler on the PG adds some awesome flavor to steaks etc as the drippings vaporize off the flame tamer. Seems like Yoder recommends or provides grill grates to place over the firepot for direct grilling. I think the firepot is off to the edge (left side) of the yoder but it is centered under the direct side grate on the PG500/1000.

Footprint of the PG1000 is a bit bigger than the PG500 (cooking area is the same) But the PG1000 sports the double wall insulation which is nice for holding temps and recovery. Both models will now have warming drawers, though I haven't seen anyone test the PG1000 drawer for temps yet... (I'll do it when I get mine put in).

There you have it a rambling post comparing pits at random...

IMHO the decision is between the PG500 and the PG1000...

Nordy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.