Skip to main content

I am almost embarrassed to admit, but I have completly blown it with my cast iron grate on my PG-500. It's in horrible shape with rust taking over. I know I can replace it for $99 through the website, but before I do, I thought I would ask for suggestions on trying to save it. I have watched countless youtube videos and internet research. I was going to try soaking for a few days in cider vinegar and perhaps some baking soda. Then once the rust is off season the hell out of them. PROPERLY this time. Man, I blew it. Perhaps one of you has a better suggestion?

Take care of your cast iron grates! Take it from me, lesson learned.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
So...I soaked the cast iron grate in Cider vinegar for 24 hours then dried it. I was going to take a brass wire drill brush to it. I dropped it on the concrete about waist high and it broke in 3 places. Oh well, ordering a new one.

I thought cast iron wouldn't break!!!

Mine have come loose at one end, but I'm sure it was the concrete that did it also. Cast iron is not as strong as steel, we use to call it pot metal at home.

Hell, I'd just have tried cranking it up on high, surely 900*+ would have burnt off the rust? Then re-seasoned them.
quote:
So...I soaked the cast iron grate in Cider vinegar for 24 hours then dried it. I was going to take a brass wire drill brush to it. I dropped it on the concrete about waist high and it broke in 3 places. Oh well, ordering a new one.

I'm so sorry to hear that it broke. Cast iron is really durable but it's very brittle and breaks easy if it's dropped.
quote:

I'm so sorry to hear that it broke. Cast iron is really durable but it's very brittle and sure breaks easy if it's dropped.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.