Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

All depends on the type of seafood and the application. Go easy on the wood, seafood can take on too much smoke fast. The seafood racks for the CS works perfect for most items. You want the smoke to surround the seafood with good airflow. I have used a pan for some items that I wanted the smoke to touch the sauce in the pan as well as the seafood. Good luck!
I've smoked over 22 lbs of salmon this summer, sockeye, Copper River, and king mostly, and mostly from Costco. I cook directly on the racks of my AQ, skin side down. I've settled on 3 - 3 1/4 oz of apple wood, Mr. T's brine (another thread here) overnight, and cook at 200 until the thermapen says 148 - 153 degrees, usually about 1 1/2 hours. Moist and flavorful, and keeps about a week in the fridge. Freezes very well.
Andy J & Jay 1924, I thank you for your info. Totally differant from a Treager. Differant in a sence the amount of smoke needed. Jay 1924 sounds like your could be from the P.N.W. My son will be back in town before school starts and his request is "SEAFOOD", have you guys ever tried oysters, scallopes, clams, etc.?
Maybe if you cold smoked them? I threw a 2lb sack in a large bowl, couple small chunks of wood into a pre-heated smoker, smoked at 235 for about 30 minutes. Checked about every 10 minutes to see when they opened up, stirred them up each time, then went for another 10 minutes after they opened. Ended up with shriveled, dry, barely edible mussels. I'll stick with a regular mussels mariniere recipe thank you very much.

Like Tom and several others have posted in the past. Just because you can smoke it, doesn't mean you should smoke it.
Last edited by andyj

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.