Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Westernny,

I've smoked a lot of salmon in my cookers and it has not impacted the flavor of my other cooks. You should be just fine. Just to assure yourself no fish tast remains you could heat up the smoker to max heat for a quick burn off of any fish oils and aroma after smoking your steelhead. Let us know how your fish turns out.

BD
westernny,

Do I worry about it? My concern would be having brisket flavored salmon. Eeker

All joking aside, you will be fine as fresh fish has no foul odor to begin with. You can clean any residual oil from your grates and change out your foil before further use. As BD said other oil residue if any should burn off adding character to your smoker.

Mr T
I have smoked a bunch of salmon and have never even given that a thought. So, I guess I have never noticed anything. I wash my racks after each smoke. I dont change the foil after each use. Usually when I do salmon I let it air dry in the fridge to form a pelicle and that keeps most of the moisture in. Not much dripping from that.

I would trust what Mr. T. said 100% Never been steered wrong by his advice. Vicki
I've had good results with Mr T's brine, but have used this recipe more often, simply because I make a lot of it at a time. We really enjoy it:

Cardog's Award Winning Reicpe

Hickory may be too strong a wood to use with fish, especially, if you use too much. Alder, Pecan, and Oak have given me smoked fish with a nice flavor but not overpowering...fruitwoods work well also. Forming the pellicle really helps with the finished product.
quote:
Originally posted by Alarice5:
Hello Guys, what kind of taste does hickory give/any idea?Thanks a lot!!

Alarice 5,
Welcome to the forum.
As Pags says, you will most likely find hickory to strong for fish. Being unfamiliar with the types of woods in Australia you will want to use a light wood such as my favorite fish wood alder or ash.
You may want to do some test to help determine the type of wood will work best for you. The following thread may help. Use a white bread or cracker, same amount of wood by weight for the same amount of time. It will give you an idea of flavor and color.
Hope this helps. Let us know your results.
http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...172979907#4172979907
It's an herb. You can pick it up at most grocery stores in the spice section or order it from your favorite online spice shop.

Here's a description...Pronounced [SAY-vuh-ree] (satureja) is closely related to the mint family. There are two types of savory, summer and winter. While the winter version is stronger, both are described as having a flavor that is a cross between mint and thyme.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.