Skip to main content

Hi! I'm new on the forum and a new cookshack user. I used to have a Big Chief, so this is a big upgrade for me. So far I have only smoked salmon (in any smoker) because I catch alot of it and it's what I love to eat. But I will eventually start to smoke other thigns as I become more accustomed to the smokette.

Did my first smoke yesterday and I think it came out pretty well. Given mixed results in the past (with the Chief), I've resolved to be excruciatingly anal about note-taking with my smokes. There are just too many variables for me to keep track of in my head.

If any of you seasoned pros have time, take a look at my notes and let me know what areas I can work on. It's going to be a continual process of refinement. Smiler

https://www.evernote.com/shard...d309a79ea1c5cdb1ae3b

Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am just starting to do Salmon myself, so I will be interested in seeing how yours improve. One thing to remember about the SM-025/045 smokers is that they are programed to go to a high temp. for the first 20 minutes of the smoke. It doesn't matter what you set the temp. at. This is to get the smoke rolling early. If you turn the smoker off, or if the power gets interupted, this pre-programed temp. kicks in again. One way around this is to turn the empty smoker on, wait 20 minutes, then load the wood and product. Just something to keep in mind as you go foreward with adventure. Welcome to the forum. There are a number of people here that are well seasoned when it comes to smoking Salmon. I am sure they will chime in when they see your post.
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Mike:
I am just starting to do Salmon myself, so I will be interested in seeing how yours improve. One thing to remember about the SM-025/045 smokers is that they are programed to go to a high temp. for the first 20 minutes of the smoke. It doesn't matter what you set the temp. at. This is to get the smoke rolling early. If you turn the smoker off, or if the power gets interupted, this pre-programed temp. kicks in again. One way around this is to turn the empty smoker on, wait 20 minutes, then load the wood and product. Just something to keep in mind as you go foreward with adventure. Welcome to the forum. There are a number of people here that are well seasoned when it comes to smoking Salmon. I am sure they will chime in when they see your post.

Ah - that is very good information. One question I have is...assuming I equalized the temp as you suggest, is 140 degrees enough to smoke the wood properly?

SmokinMAINEiac - also a very good suggestion. Thanks. Yeah the smoked salmon came out well. I didn't have high expectations since it was my first go-round with the new smoker, but I am very, very pleased.
I just wanted you to know that when you saw the higher temp., your smoker wasn't broken, it was programed to do this. The other thing that happens with the smokers is that the heating element gets bent down. You need to have the heating element in contact with the wood box to get a good wood burn. If the heating element isn't in contact with the wood box, gently bend the heating element up until it is. Finally, if you open the door, and look at the back of the smoker, you will see a small rod sticking out of the back. This is the thermostat for the smoker. Make sure that when you load your smoker, this rod is clear of any contact with the racks or products. These things are just the few things that seem to generate questions from new owners of these smokers. I love both of my Cookshack smokers, and simply want new owners to know These things up front. It makes the learning curve a little less step.
Looks like your first salmon smoke was quite the learning experience.

If you change the salt/ sugar ratio keep in mind that it is important if you are planning on storing your salmon to keep the sal% between 60% and 80% to inhibit bacterial growth. If you plan to consume soon after smoking the lower percentages of salinity can be used but you are only then flavoring rather than preserving and that will promote bacterial growth. It is best to keep with proven recipes unless you have the equipment to test your brines.

Was the salmon frozen prior to brining?
At what temperature did you brine the salmon?

It’s my opinion that once the fish is 100% saturated with the brine; the flavor won’t change whether left in the brine 2 hours or 16 hours. I personally brine overnight for convenience purposes.

In order to bring the salmon to the desired temperature of 145° for 30 minutes. Probe the thickest piece and smoke at 200°. When the IT reaches 140° turn the heat to 140°. The carryover should take the salmon to 145° and before it starts to drop your desired time at 145° or above should be reached. The entire smoking process should be completed in the area of one and a half hours.

Immediately remove the salmon from the smoker, place on a rack and allow cooling to room temperature or lower before sealing.

Maybe the following will help.
http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1038883/m/5372983117

Hopefully you find this has been helpful. If you have any questions or comments. You can place them on either of these threads.
T
that is some nice looking salmon you have there. If you are looking for a buttery texture it is best not to cook to too high an internal temp. Let the smoker preheat and then cool down to your cook temp before adding the salmon. I like to add the wood at the beginning as the high temp at the preheating phase is needed to get the wood smoking properly. I've had great success with Andi's kippered salmon recipe that I reposted here: Andi's Kippered Salmon

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.