Skip to main content

quote:
Posted March 24, 2012 15:02
Mr.T,
Have you (or anyone else here for that matter) ever used this brine to smoke whitefish? Does anyone have a whitefish brine? Thanks in advance!
Jaques

Jaques,

Thought it might be better to start a new thread on your question about whitefish.

Are you asking about a specific fish or the whitefish in general? Sixty years ago I would cure and smoke whitefish mainly Chubs or Shiners trying to duplicate what was then called a Blind Robin. It was a Smelt that was brined, heavily smoked and packed in oil for preservation and had a very distinct odor. Mostly found in bars, stapled to a poster board and hanging above the pickled eggs, gizzards and sausages. Of course, those recipes are long forgotten but seems like they were packed in salt until dry then heavily smoked. Today the only whitefish I smoke is the perch on occasion. They just seem to find their way to the deep fryer (our favorite) or the pickle jar first.

The salmon brine recipe works well on them but keep in mind that whitefish in general are a non-oily fish, some even less than others. You can expect the finish product to be dryer than the salmon varieties. Taking for granted you are asking about a small fish, I will usually just scale, gut, remove the gills, scrub the cavity clean then brine the fish, whole.

When smoking the smaller fish, use a toothpick across the rib cage to help keep the body open for good aeration while they are hanging in the smoker. Take the time to take good notes on your process and the results.

Hopefully somewhere in my rambling, you found your answer. If I can be of further assistance, please ask.

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Tom
P S: I am still trying to replicate those Blind Robins.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mr. T,
Both the white fish and the salmon turned out too sweet. I think that was partially due to leaving it in the brine for too long (about 18-19 hours). One thing I did notice is that the whitefish sweetness was more overpowering that that of the salmon. Next time I do the whitefish, I will cut the amount of sugar in half.
Jaques,
Be careful cutting back on the sugar in this recipe as your fish may end up now being too salty for your taste. The sugar counteracts the harsh taste of salt along as acting as a preservative. Suggest you try brining for two hours and adjust the brining times from there to suit your taste. Keep in your notes the thickness of your fish along with the brining times.
Let us know how it turns out.
T

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.