Skip to main content

I was up until 1 am this morning processing my sons catch. A 80 pd Bluefin A 40 pd Bluefin and a couple of Yellowfin. Up early this morning browsing the forum looking for recipes.

I want to smoke a good majority of the fish. Will probably use the PG500 so that I can use the indirect side. I am thinking of a brown sugar/salt water brine for 3-4 hours. Pat dry and let air dry for 30 minutes. 250 degrees for about 3 hours. My goal here is not to eat right away but vacuum seal and refrigerate for use over the next 6 months.

So a couple of questions.

Does my method seem okay?
Will my fish hold for up to 6 months this way?
Any other suggestions?

I was thinking of doing a test run with a small batch, but was hoping someone has smoked and put away tuna before. Thanks guys.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A cyber pal on another bbq chat forum posted this one for yellow fin tuna. Hope it might help.

quote>
Yellow Fin Tuna
A guy at work has his own boat and did really well fishing and hooked me up with some of his catch, yellow fin tuna. He showed cooking it on a weber kettle type contraption. Looked mighty tasty.

Marinaded the steaks in Soy Vay Hoisin Garlic sauce for about 12 hours

Fish on the grill direct<
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
I was up until 1 am this morning processing my sons catch. A 80 pd Bluefin A 40 pd Bluefin and a couple of Yellowfin. Up early this morning browsing the forum looking for recipes.

I want to smoke a good majority of the fish. Will probably use the PG500 so that I can use the indirect side. I am thinking of a brown sugar/salt water brine for 3-4 hours. Pat dry and let air dry for 30 minutes. 250 degrees for about 3 hours. My goal here is not to eat right away but vacuum seal and refrigerate for use over the next 6 months.

So a couple of questions.

Does my method seem okay?
Will my fish hold for up to 6 months this way?
Any other suggestions?

I was thinking of doing a test run with a small batch, but was hoping someone has smoked and put away tuna before. Thanks guys.

Looks like you have a good plan Padrefan, My only suggestion is to let it air dry longer to form the pellicle, I usually go for a overnight dry in the frige, some folks go longer. Vac sealing should get you 6 months or longer in the freezer. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!
Last edited by wilber

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.