Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good question Gardener,
As the salt used in Tender Quick is extremely pure, use the same amount by weight(3oz.)as you would non iodized salt per quart of water.

As well as providing curing ingredients, we find the additional flavors provided in TQ send the salmon over the top.

Hope this helps. Glad you are enjoying your salmon.

Tom
Trust me, I have used Mr. T's brine recipe (and my own adaptation of his smoking procedure) for fresh Copper River and Alaskan sockeye salmon for several years. It consistently produces fabulous smoked salmon.I have varied the pelical-formation and smoking schedule a bit, but what my Amerique turns out is uniformly great. Hint: While the salmon is not too expensive, start your way on trying different brines and smokes, to close in on your perfect result. Since the cook time is so short, you can experiment, depending on cost and availability. Good luck!!
A little research has told me (hopefully factually) that wild steelhead (called "trout" or "salmon" depending on the market) is of the same genus as pacific sockeye, (which also includes rainbow trout), but is an ocean-going fish that can return upstream to fresh water and spawn many times in their lifetime, as opposed to once for salmon. Different species, different habits, growth patterns, and fatty content; therefore different flavor profile and cooking required (steelhead is apparently quite lean). All very interesting, I need to see if the steelhead I see sold next to farm-raised atlantic salmon (which I dislike) is farm-raised or wild.
Andy, yeah, I've done gravalax for many years. No smoking, just cured with salt and sugar, and yes, lots of fresh dill, and fresh ground pepper. It really is great on toast or crackers with some cream cheese! For weighting the fillets while they cure in the fridge, I proudly show people my "culinary bricks" which I wrap with foil and put on top of the curing fish.
Last edited by jay1924

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.