Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoked Northern Pike Login/Join

posted
Has anyone smoked (smoke cooked) a northern pike (filets)?

If so, is it similar to other smoked fish such as salmon or whitefish? In my search, I found much on these fish but nothing on northerns or walleyes. Or is it just best to fry these in the frying pan.

Any ideas will be helpful.

Mn Que Smiler

Posts: 64 | Location: Shoreview, Minnesota | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a neighbor who has been smoking both northerns and suckers and seems to think they are pretty good. I do know that he smokes them whole and not as fillets. Being a fellow Minnesotan, you probably know that northerns are terrific pickled. You might try that for the fun of it.

Posts: 249 | Location: merrifield, minnesota | Registered: November 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I smoke northerns every so often. Use a brine recipe for fish but make sure it will float an egg. Keep the skin on. I usually toss in some brown sugar, garlic powder, peppercorns. I don't remember the amounts. It doesn't matter all that much. Just keep it simple

Soak em over night and smoke like any other fish.

Posts: 2 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post