Skip to main content

This past summer, a neighbor had given me a broken log from a peach tree approximately 3 feet long and 5 inches wide. I kept the log in the garage till today, when I used a chop saw to cut it up into smaller more manageable pieces that would fit in the cookshack smokerbox.

A good amount of the wood is soft and I can easily use my hands/fingers to break it. The bark is easy to separate. Is this normal for peach? Also, is this peach wood good for smoking, if it is soft and friable and easily broken.

Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinMAINEiac:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Probably agree with the good cooks above.

Smokin'Okie used to tell us to buy a small fryer chicken-for a couple dollars and try it yourself.

Cheap and another excuse to cook something. Big Grin

A small fryer is more like $4.50 now-a-days Tom... Wink

See, what you don't know is Tom is going to the cheap butcher and getting the chickens with broken bones and such! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Probably agree with the good cooks above.

Smokin'Okie used to tell us to buy a small fryer chicken-for a couple dollars and try it yourself.

Cheap and another excuse to cook something. Big Grin

A small fryer is more like $4.50 now-a-days Tom... Wink

Today test cooks can be done with chicken quarters,  $.69 a pound, pretty good grilled and even better smoked. If not, yep, it's the wood.

Just bought another 20# packaged and froze.  Chicken is always a good cheap test meat. Like anything else shop around, there's always a bargain somewhere, when ya find it, stock up!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.