Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Could you explain a smoke pistol

Rushman; your choice of hickory will work fine on other hard cheeses as well. Don’t be afraid to try other woods though. Gives you an excuse to get more cheese. Your friends will love it. I use a milder wood such as alder, birch or cottonwood on softer cheese such as cream cheese, limburger or any of the blues as they will take a shorter smoke time. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Former Member
Mr. T.

A smoke pistol (try google) is an added device to use for producing smoke, say such as adding to a gas grill to make it a smoker.

rushman:

"better quality of cheese" doesn't really tell us much. If I'm smoking anything, i always go for better quality. You need to match the cheese to the wood. try different stuff, it needs to match your flavor preferences. Only Hickory tends to get boring. Change the cheese and change the wood too.
I have used applewood on good cheddar cheese with excellent results.

I cut the cheddar into about 2x2x6 inch rectangles and give it a mild smoking, just enough to barely see a color change, wrap tightly in aluminum foil and store in a baggie so it doesn't smoke up your refrigerator. (wifey will be happy)
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.