Cookshack Barbecue & Smoke-Cooking Center    forum.cookshack.com    Cookshack Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Additional Topics  Hop To Forums  Wood    crab apple wood for smoking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

crab apple wood for smoking Login/Join

posted
Passed a crab apple tree in the woods and wondered if the wood would be good for smoking. I know that fruit woods are supposed to be good. Any one try this?

Posts: 4 | Registered: January 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This site:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/8.html
says that crabapple is similar to apple

Posts: 110 | Location: Milton, WI | Registered: February 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a friend in Biloxi who is saving me kumquat trimmings off her tree? Any idea if you can use it for smoking? The only time I ate kumquats they were in a can and as I recall they tasted like pine trees

Posts: 677 | Location: Oklahoma City OK/FL | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use crabapple wood all the time in the smoker, and it works great. Just like apple wood.

Posts: 161 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KathyE,

Are you sure that friend still has that tree?? We got a little wind down here a few months back.

Posts: 72 | Location: Biloxi, MS | Registered: January 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doc,
Yes, she was telling me on Instant Messaging 3 dys ago about trimming her kumquats. So do you think the wood can be used?

Posts: 677 | Location: Oklahoma City OK/FL | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kathye,
we use the trimming from both our sour orange tree and lime trees for smoking (the lime leaves i use when thai cooking) just be sure they are dry before you put them in a cs. kumquat would be neat to try!!!! i find the citrus wood works best on chickens or ribs. leaves a nice color a little lighter than the mahogany that pecan gives me but pretty close and the flavor is good.
someone once gave me advice that if the tree bears nuts or fruit that you would eat it was ok to try and so far that advice has been good. just be careful with black walnut though it can bitter up real fast like miskeet Razzer
jack
ps. and with that i am off to watch the bbq comp on food network from mandaly bay.

Posts: 1533 | Location: st augustine florida | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KathyE,

I would think so. Most fruit and citris wood are okay. Besides, you never know until you try it. I like oak, apple, cherry and/or plum because it's not so strong as hickory.......and I have a endless supply of oak.

Posts: 72 | Location: Biloxi, MS | Registered: January 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PUREBRED HICK

posted Hide Post
Is live oak the same for smoking as regular red or white oak? I like white oak without bark the best for mild smoke. Cool

Posts: 2908 | Location: Ozark foothills, Arkansas | Registered: September 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both apple and crabapple trees are of the genus Malus. To be considered an apple the fruit has to be greater than 2" in diameter. To be considered a crabapple the fruit has to be 2" or less in diameter. That is the only difference between them. Go for it.

Posts: 249 | Location: merrifield, minnesota | Registered: November 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hippie,
where i work part time all they use is live oak bark on. taste is to me a little more harsh than white oak but what the heck the guy owns four joints and the customers keep coming
jack

Posts: 1533 | Location: st augustine florida | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prisonchef,
I am going to ask my friend is she saved any wood from her live oak that came down in the hurricane. I never thought of that.By the time I get to Biloxi, the trimmings will probably be dry.
by the way I have a couple pictures of you and Peggy I took in Mineola when we were ther with cadillac. want the negative? I didnt get any CD of it.