Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I bought a little spring loaded diet scale at Target. I think it cost $4.99. Woods of different density have different weights for the same dimensional size. For example hickory is a denser wood than alder, and if you had chunks of the same outer dimensions, the hickory would weigh more than the alder. I depend on the scale most of the time. But after awhile, you get pretty good at estimating the weight of a chunk without having to put it on the scale. I use a hammer and wood chisel to break the big pieces into smaller ones when all I need is an ounce or 2 and all I have are big chunks.
I use a Pelouze Model# PE5 digital postal scale I've had for many, many years. It is pretty beat up, but it keeps on working Smiler

I just weighed eleven pieces of CS hickory wood chunks. The weights were between 1.5 and 3.0 ounces.

Four pieces were between 1.5 and 1.9 oz, three pieces were between 2.0 and 2.5 oz, and the rest were between 2.6 and 3.0 oz.

Don't know if this helps you or not, but there you go.

Myself, I always weigh my wood when using my SM025. When using my other smoker (home made) I never weigh the wood I just know from experience how much is enough and how much is too much.

The CS makes such efficient use of wood smoke it really pays to weigh the wood. You could easily overdo the smoke, IMO.
As you can tell by the fine cooks above, it doesn't take long cooking with these CS before you start realizing that you can control the variables to a minimum.

The amount of wood you use, if keeping good notes on your own cooks, will be relevant to what you are accustom to using...ie, I think of a oz of wood as the size of a golf ball, so if I need/want two oz's I find one twice the size of a golf ball. It seems to work for me, but I'm pretty sure the fine cooks above, never have to guess like I do, oh well!
Like the good cooks above said.

After awhile,you get the feel if a couple golfball chunks are about right,or maybe an extra one or two for longer cooks.

Nut woods give stronger flavor and fruit woods less.
Old wood requires more,new wood less.

I was used to cooking with WSMs and never measured,but I did a couple times on the smokette.

My guess is after cooking two or three different products,a couple times and taking notes,you might be less inclined to measure.

It works for some folks,so you might feel more comfortable.
Ignore them. They're spammers, noticed we've been starting to get quite a few more forum spam postings recently. I'm actually surprised this one came back a second time. Almost all the posts that have a link in their signature are spam, most point to websites in NZ.

From http://www.stopforumspam.com/search.php

Found 2 entries for "DanielLara"

Date IP address Username Email Address Location
2011-09-23 20:41:38 69.162.128.165 DanielLara rose1farrales@yahoo.com United States
2011-08-26 08:30:09 108.62.163.62 DanielLara rose1farrales@yahoo.com United States

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.