Skip to main content

I have pellets that are 5 years old. They have been stored dry in a shed. I cooked once with them but they seemed to not cook well. There was a large amount of ash. The pellets are cookshack oak and I never had an issue with them in the past. I sold my FEC but kept the pellets and now have a cooker to use them in. My question is, can pellets be too old. They break apart much easier than fresh pellets. The flavor seemed dirty. It could be my imagination. Help
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good question; I don't recall seeing it asked before.

If they've been stored in the original bags and still airtight, I'd think they'd be fine. Given your descriptions, perhaps age does affect quality. Give Cookshack a call and get their advice. The large amount of ash & dirty flavor doesn't seem right for oak pellets.
I was kinda wondering about that too. I've got a half ton stored in my shop setting on a pallet on a concrete floor. The roof does drip a bit, but not on the pellets. The humidity in the shop is about the same as it is outside, as the electric is not on. I'd imagine, like any wood product, the shrink and expand a little with humidity conditions, taking in the surrounding aroma. If it's musty, well, who knows. Did they smell like wood or dirt? Mine still smell like nice pecan, but they are only a year old. I did have several bags that were kept for four years, but were kept inside out of the humidity, they still smelled good and there was no noticeable ash or dust. All mine are BBQ delight, but not sure that would matter.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.