(World Champ ICS-2004)
Dago Reds Wop 'n Good Chili
Source: Kathy Hipskind
Submitted By: www.chilicookoff.com
Ingredients:
See Instructions Below

Instructions:
Brown 4 lbs cubed tri-tip with 3 tsp salt and 1½ tsp white pepper. Place
in stock pot and simmer on low heat for 3 hrs.

Add:
2 Cans Chicken Broth
1 Can Hunt's Tomato Sauce
1 Small Can Spicey V-8 Juice
1 tbs Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tbs Chili Powder (Gebhardt’s)

@ 1 ½ hrs Add:
2 tbs chili powder (Gebhardt’s)
5 tsp cumin
¼ tsp msg
1 tbs tabasco sauce

@ 2 hrs Add:
1 tsp New Mexico hot chili powder
1 ½ tsp tabasco sauce
¼ tsp red jalapeno powder
1 tbs chili powder (Gebhardt’s)
Salt to taste

@ 2 ½ hrs Add:
5 tsp arrowroot (mix with water to form paste)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp brown sugar
½ tsp red jalapeno powder
½ tsp cumin
Salt to taste

All Rights Reserved Copyright 2014
www.chilicookoff.com
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks.Always great to see Gebhardt's Original Eagle Brand used.
When we migrated to FL we were told by the new purchasers that you couldn't get it east of the"big muddy" for heat and freshness sake.

Even the military stores couldn't get it shipped in.

Several years ago,I'd found a TX supplier to sell it in the 5 lb can.
Great,so I ordered it in right away.

Guess where it comes from.The national forest in the FL panhandle? Confused

TexMex cooking

They quit carrying it,but a rep for Mild Bill's Spice Co. from there in Ennis ,TX showed up at a FL chili comp.Had samples and a price list for all the chili cooks.

Been getting my Gebhardt's and most other chili products there ever since.His wife can talk you thru any questions and even sends you out free samples to see if it works for you

Mild Bill's Spice Co..
Thanks for the the link. Nice to see them bohemians doing good. Nearly swear I have heard them mentioned in some chili recipe ingredient sources. Gebhardts is real easy to find around here or least it was last time I went to buy some. Prob not as fresh as a person might like but available. It has a flavor profile real close to pure Ancho to me. I think the two sub out easy in most recipes. If the folks at Ennis have the quality and freshness of Pendery's they need a tip of the hat. Swear the Penderys Cumin smells like a bouquet of flowers or something. A hundred times better than what they peddle at Kroger.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Thanks.Always great to see Gebhardt's Original Eagle Brand used.
When we migrated to FL we were told by the new purchasers that you couldn't get it east of the"big muddy" for heat and freshness sake.

Even the military stores couldn't get it shipped in.

Several years ago,I'd found a TX supplier to sell it in the 5 lb can.
Great,so I ordered it in right away.

Guess where it comes from.The national forest in the FL panhandle? Confused

TexMex cooking

They quit carrying it,but a rep for Mild Bill's Spice Co. from there in Ennis ,TX showed up at a FL chili comp.Had samples and a price list for all the chili cooks.

Been getting my Gebhardt's and most other chili products there ever since.His wife can talk you thru any questions and even sends you out free samples to see if it works for you

Mild Bill's Spice Co..

Tom,
Very interesting read on the TexMex site. He is calling Mild Bill's out for selling FAKE Gebhardt's. He even offers a $5,000 REWARD!!!
Maybe a head to head showdown @ high noon is in order?
I once heard that BUTT RUB was trademarked. People do take their spices seriously! Wink
Joe M
Good friend, Byron Chism,over on Santa Rosa Island is ButtRub.com.Byron is a CIA grad and has reps on the road[Robert] working major retailers,cookoffs,wholesalers.Has a distribution warehouse up in central TN for storing product,shipping,cook trailers,offices,etc.Does his business very professionally.Thus the patents on his products.

Real fine comp cook and has several other excellent bbq/grocery products on the market.About five yrs ago Byron's product lines were doing well enough to be on the positive side.He worked the national bbq circuits well/hard/professionally for several years.
We used to joke which of us had more Reserves ,before our first Grand.Not sure which of us won that one.
Used to spar around with Byron on some bbq chat place. Thinkng was the Widder Basso's place. I dont think he appreciated my talents..lol. Sure do love his Butt Rub. Our oldest boy in the wholesale food bizness gave us a big jug of his rub a few years back. Way out of date and sorta looks pale. Used it yesterday along with Smoking Okies Pork Finishing sauce (slightly bastardized for the Tex-Mex palletSmiler The eaters are still gushing effusively. lol. Was the very best any of them ever ate..or so they said. It was good. Maybe get some fresh one of these days. Got a pic from round one I think.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • butts96

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.