Skip to main content

I cold smoked some granny smith apples the other day and made a pie with them and it turned out very good. I used about 1 oz of apple wood in small pieces and tossed in a vanilla bean pod. Used the cold smoke baffle with a pan of ice. Smoked them for about 15-20mins. Then followed my regular pie recipe. Just enough smoke to make everyone ask what is different in this pie!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Many of the bbq comps have pie contests that are often held Sat morning,after the four meats.

The feeling that not all things have to be smoked-unless we are wishing to prove we can do it,works well at comps.After a couple days of contest cookers and smoke, unsmoked apple and pecan pies tend to really stand out.

Trish Trigg has won all around North America with her famous pecan.
Nodrog, I cored the apples but left the peel on. Wanted to make sure I got enough smoke but not to much.Smoked them for about 20 mins and turned off smoker. Let them sit in the smoker for another 20 mins or so. Took them out and vacuum sealed them to help the smoke set in.Smoked them in the morning and made the pie later that day. Thought of a cinnamon stick but didn't have one, next time. Had a piece of a vanilla pod in my vanilla sugar and tossed it in the wood box. Don't think the pod added to much flavor to the finished pie but could sorta taste it in the apple itself, it wasn't a big piece.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.