Skip to main content

Hey everyone,
I'm heading into my first summer at Tuff's Smokin' Grill. I am curious about what any of you fellow restaurant owners do about Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. I don't want to stay open if everyone is having family picnics, or do you guys get lots of takeout orders on these days for those picnics?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Tuff's Smokin' Grill:
Hey everyone,
I'm heading into my first summer at Tuff's Smokin' Grill. I am curious about what any of you fellow restaurant owners do about Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. I don't want to stay open if everyone is having family picnics, or do you guys get lots of takeout orders on these days for those picnics?

We aren't open those Holidays, but we have promoted pick-up and Holiday packs. Lots of folks pick up day before. Only time we're in on a Holiday is a huge order, or something like a 'smoked turkey give-away' like this past Thanksgiving. If promoting for Holiday pick-up, we find it's best to start promoting at least a month before, and have a printed sheet at your restaurant that lists specific selections, like 'A pound of our fresh pulled pork, Rack of your favorite Ribs, sauce, 3 rolls, and a pint of xxxx or xxxxx side dish for $xxxx'. It guides their selection, and makes it easier for you to just prep one or two types of meat, and one or two types of side dish, for a known number of people. Gets us in and out of the restaurant on a Holiday morning, so we can enjoy the day also. You may also find it's worth doing a little 'paid' facebook promotion, do something like target a 10 mile radius, and target only the audience who have not yet 'liked' your page, and use an image that shows your Holiday promotion - along with paper flyers at your restaurant, stuffed into every pickup order and at every table.

Good luck - and I still need to plan a time to swing by your place (I drive across Route 80 to Erie on occasion).

Rick

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.