Skip to main content

A while ago I made two "lazy man's" pastrami.

Both were cooked at the same time to the same temp and feel, according to usual methods.

One turned out perfect while the other was a little on the tough side. Side by side they look and taste exactly the same except tor the toughness.

Could this be the beef or could I miss cooked the tougher one?

TNX
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In my experience, success with texture and tenderness of pastrami depends on the all-important steaming step. I do this he same day if I have time and want to eat it that day, or foil and refrigerate the smoked corned beef for up to three or four days first. Then place in a steamer basket and gently steam to an IT of 205 to 209 or so (maybe takes around 2 hours). The "pastrami" (it isn't pastrami until you steam it) will be tender and juicy. Leftovers will be tough when cold but sliced thin against the grain, make great sandwiches.
quote:
In my experience, success with texture and tenderness of pastrami depends on the all-important steaming step.In my experience, success with texture and tenderness of pastrami depends on the all-important steaming step.

I totally agree.

I was just wondering why there was a difference between the two corned briskets.
They both tested the same when poked.

I'm guessing it was just one was an from an old cow, which leaves me no way to judge them in the corned beef package at the store.

As this was the first occurrences in many cooks I won't worry too much.

Some day I'll go for it and corn a brisket from scratch, but it's hard to pass up a corned beef sale.
Reading your original post again, I wonder if the answer might just be a leaner vs a fattier piece of corned brisket? I know they vary a lot, at least among the brands I buy; some actually include a piece of the point, while many are from the very lean thin flat end. I'd expect pretty different results from those extremes. Just my guess.

I agree about the sales. When I see good corned beef on sale, it just postpones whenever I'll try corning my own. Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.