Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not to hijack (great vid Tom) but I'd be curious to see what a daily production sheet for the restaurant looks like.

For those who haven't been, the restaurant isn't very large...maybe 50 seats inside & out. When I was there he had a single pit, maybe 15' in length next to the main bldg. I do recall an empty lot next door, which may account for the additional pits he's now using.

As everyone says, the meal was worth the wait.
So... this style of brisket is great and I really enjoy this cooking at home.

However...

1) Don't slice a brisket like this...
2) Put your blades on your electric knife correctly
3) Let the fat up vs fat down debate start now... on this cooker I'd probably go fat down due to the fire being below the meat vs. a cooker where the heat comes from the top... but I'm sure the next comment will be arguing why I'm wrong on this issue... probably doesn't really matter
4) Cooking on a FE is different than a stick burner. I've had the best success with a 6-8 hour low smoke at 180 before upping the temp, though you can still cook a great brisket straight through at 250-275 it will generally have less smoke flavor
5)NOTE - He sliced after the brisket rested until the temp was 145 degrees... Though many of us will rest a brisket in a cambro or FTC, until a couple of years ago I had never allowed the temp in the brisket to fall lower before I sliced it. I recommend it. If you've never let a flat cool to 145-ish before slicing... try it.

Nordy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.