Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For what it is worth, I cooked for a private party this weekend and tried wrapping in butcher paper for the first time.

Without boring you with all the details, flats were cooked separately from points. Some meat came from Sam's, and part was Wagyu straight from packing house. Part of the meat was wrapped in foil, and part in butcher paper.

The lower fat meat (such as a separated flat and/or a lower quality brisket that comes from the retail grocery) benefited from wrapping in foil with a little broth. Lower quality meat suffered in the butcher paper.
But the wagyu points performed well in the butcher paper, and actually were a little easier to manage because they had a more gentle rise in temperature when the passed the stall point.

The world famous Franklin BBQ wraps in butcher paper. But I have long contended that their secret is not so much cooking method as it is in that they source high quality meat from Creekstone Farms.

Moral of the story is that I think the butcher paper works if a person sources the best meat. But if a person uses main stream (or bargain) meat, then foil and a little cooking liquid should be employed.
My take on butcher paper:

I normally don't foil brisket unless it's a flat, but I prefer cooking packers. I've wrapped with butcher paper at the stall once and can't say I noticed a dryer brisket.

I've also wrapped a few finished briskets with paper for holding. It's a bit messier than FTC but the bark is better.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.