Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sam's is another choice.

Any restaurant that you are friends with management that might order from their meat supplier.
A local butcher will usually burn you,because he has to buy a case and has no use for the remainder.

Maybe a strong Jewish market?

Good luck.
If it is real important,we can give you the comp and high end restaurant suppliers to have singles shipped in.
Tom, thank you. I was going to find a Sam's since I have had good luck there in my home state of NM, but of course I guess brisket is more of a southwest thing. I'll see what happens, meanwhile I'm trying a thick flat tomorrow as my first smoke in my new Amerique. I've had Sausage Maker and Masterbuilt units before, but decided to upgrade. 3 oz of hickory to start, a good rub, and cook to 190. Fingers crossed!
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
Tom, thank you. I was going to find a Sam's since I have had good luck there in my home state of NM, but of course I guess brisket is more of a southwest thing. I'll see what happens, meanwhile I'm trying a thick flat tomorrow as my first smoke in my new Amerique. I've had Sausage Maker and Masterbuilt units before, but decided to upgrade. 3 oz of hickory to start, a good rub, and cook to 190. Fingers crossed!

Is there a reason for the 190*, just curious?

Have fun....
Hey Jay !!
Greetings from scenic Jackson, NJ !! I too have had problems finding good packers. You can get just average packers from Walmart, they are cheaper that a choice or select - they have no grade marking on the packages but if you trim them up some and apply your rub they come out ok. The Sam's in Freehold never carries decent packers, I have a Mom and Pop store called Glory's near me that has lots of packers and corned beefs but they are like $3.49 or so a pound. Gorgeous meat though. Also there is a restaurant supply place over on 88 near 70 called Shore Restaurant Supply, if you call in advance they'll order you anything and the price they quoted me was under $3.00 for a select. It's where I get my bulk spices and such, really stand up place.

All this is moot though because you never say exactly what town you are in. I would guess that Philly has what you want. If you have a good sized freezer it would behoove you to save your shekels and call in advance to make sure they have them in stock and make a road trip of it.

Good luck, can I see the smoke plume from my deck ??

BigMike
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
Check both Sams and Wally World. By me, Sams only carries flats, but Wally World only carries packers. Had good luck with them too. Still trying to find a place that sells points.

If you can use a case, I'd talk to the meat cutter @ SAM's. If Walmart has them, SAM's should be able to get them and you should pay less with the case discount.
quote:
Originally posted by BigMikeinNJ:
I don't know about other Sam's in Jersey but the one in Freehold only ever carries flats, like the kind you'd put in the crock pot with some sliced mushrooms and beef broth and a pack of onion soup and serve to the bridge ladies. It's a geographic thing.

I think what Joe means, is that you can special order a case of packers from Sam's? I know the meat market I go to special orders a case of prime briskets for me at under $3/lb, had to brag a little...LOL!
Restaurant Depot in Pennsauken is probably your best bet. They always have their "Superior Angus" choice packer cut available. If you call a few days in advance they can order you a case of prime grade.

Other possibility is to order online from Creekstone Farms. $99 for a 12-14 pound prime packer cut and the price includes shipping. The quality is unsurpassed.
Agree Morningflyer, it's expensive. But if you're having a special occasion and want to treat (say Christmas or a special barbecue), you could feed 25 folks the meat at, say, $4/head given the shrinkage. Expensive but may be just perfect.

Certainly, not everyone's ticket. Some may chose to go with "choice" and save a few bucks.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
If you can use a case, I'd talk to the meat cutter @ SAM's. If Walmart has them, SAM's should be able to get them and you should pay less with the case discount.

Nope, no room in the freezer for that much. The packers at Wally World are usually pretty good. And if that fails, there's always RD.

For those that don't know, a KCBS membership will get you day passes to Restaurant Depot. They're great if you have one in your area. That's where I discovered Tri-Tips, no one else around here even knows what they are.
Thanks everyone for the valuable tips and advice. Personally, I'm pretty sure paying the price for prime grade is not worth it for brisket, which gets tender in a smoker by conversion of collagen to gelatin, not from the extra entrained fat that you pay for with prime. However, the same argument may not hold for choice vs select - the question is interesting enough for me to try my own experiment. Will report back if/when. Thanks again.
The unknown in the question (at least to me) is whether factors beside extra fat marbling (which I believe makes no difference in a long-smoked cut like brisket) and price of course, affect the flavor, texture, etc. of the finished product, comparing prime-choice-select. I am thinking of livestock feed practices, handling after slaughter, fresh vs frozen time to market, etc. I just don't know those answers. However based on price alone, I wouldn't spring for prime, but might want to do some experimenting on choice vs select.
quote:
The unknown in the question (at least to me) is whether factors beside extra fat marbling (which I believe makes no difference in a long-smoked cut like brisket) and price of course, affect the flavor, texture, etc. of the finished product, comparing prime-choice-select. I am thinking of livestock feed practices, handling after slaughter, fresh vs frozen time to market, etc. I just don't know those answers. However based on price alone, I wouldn't spring for prime, but might want to do some experimenting on choice vs select.

You've got quite the list of thoughts there....

1. fat=flavor and moisture, even if it is slow cooked

2. more internal marbling will result in a more tender brisket.

3. texture can be made/changed by your cooking process

4. grading of a carcass is done by a cross section between two ribs and age of the meat does play a factor. So, a cook may find it beneficial to learn to do his own searching, cause there is a BIG difference between upper choice and lower choice meats.

With all this said, a great cook can take a poor piece of meat and make a decent meal for his guests, all it takes is a little practice, good notes. That is the fun thing about brisket cooking, you are not a overnight rocket science expert.

Good luck and keep us updated on the journey!
quote:
The unknown in the question (at least to me) is whether factors beside extra fat marbling (which I believe makes no difference in a long-smoked cut like brisket) and price of course, affect the flavor, texture, etc. of the finished product, comparing prime-choice-select.

As Tom would say, I'm no brisket expert but I've cooked a few. Experience suggests a better end result when hand picking & wet aging an upper Choice, Prime or Wagyu brisket. The added marbling and creamy white fat cap always seems to translate to a moist, flavorful eating experience. That's not to say I haven't had good results with Select, but for the extra $$, the chances of ending up with dry shoe leather are minimized.
As a top chef like Max knows,choice can be about 78% of the Meat Triangle.Prime can be the upper 3%.The upper choice can fall into the top 15%,i.e. C.A.B.

Yep,the good cooks on here can cook a lower choice,or even a select and provide a fine meal for the neighborhood.

A comp cook may travel 1500 miles round trip,spend $2-3 K against 100 0f the best cooks in the nation.Every whisker counts. Wink
Found another source! Okie's Quality Butcher Shop right here on Long Beach Island (in Surf City on the north of the island) can get whole packer trim brisket. They supply restaurants and hotels in the area and their meat is terrific. Did a 8 lb butt from them yesterday - perfect! They are a little pricey - quoted $5.99 a lb for the brisket, and I paid $4.99 for the butt, but as I said it was terrific - juicy and tender, great pork flavor. Thanks Mike and everyone else - I haven't called Shore Restaurant Supply yet, but I will

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.