Skip to main content

I had a brisket disaster this weekend. I found a new meat market and thought I would buy a brisket from them and give it a go in my SM025. Most stores in my area only sell flats, so finding the full brisket is tough. WalMart sells them but they are select. This Brisket was Canadian beef. It was 16lbs and very flexible so I thought it was good. The plan was to cook at a temp of 225 until internal temp of 200. I was going to pull and rap in brown butcher paper at 160. The Rub was just Salt and Pepper. After about 5 hours of cooking, I went to pull it and wrap and noticed that my drip pan under the smoker was about to overrun with juice. It's like all the moister had drained out of the Brisket. It was very stiff to the touch, I knew something was wrong but I went ahead and wrapped anyway. At the end of the cook, it was dry and hard. Some of the brisket in the point had very little juice. I did notice that the temp prob on the grill grate was running about 235. Any thoughts?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No way of checking now, but wonder if the brisket itself was touching the main temp rod/probe in the smoker? I made that mistake once and got overcooked, dry meat. The smoker thinks it is not getting up to set temp and then runs full blast because the cooler meat is touching the end of temp probe giving a false reading to the controls.
You might think back to which shelf you were cooking brisket on to see if possible interference with temp probe.
As AndyJ said, give us more info on pulling temps and tenderness test.
I pulled it at 190. I planned to pull at 195, but was so dry and stiff i just pulled it. As for the temp i don't think k it was blocking the prob. I did have it on the top shelf. I guess it could have had an impact. When I went to wrap it, my drip pan was over flowing and it's a deep drip pan. Should I try again with a brisket from the same place, but use the lower shelf? Thanks.
While we all can make guesses to why the cooker ran at temps higher than 225*,it doesn't change the fact that the brisket needed to be cooked till it was done.

I don't know where you learned to cook a brisket like a cake recipe, but it will only end with heartache, and a brisket of less than desirable.

I'm with Andy, sounds like your brisket wasn't done.
I think what Cal was referring to is that unlike baking, where you can bake for X minutes at X temperature and you're done. BBQ is more like after cooking at X temperature for X hours it's about the time you should start checking for tenderness. You can't cook to a "temperature" and think it'll be perfect. Every piece of meat is different. Use time & temp as an indicator for when you should start probing your meat for tenderness.

For brisket...
tough & dry = under done
tender & juicy = perfect
crumbly & dry = over done

Unlike pork butt, there is a very small window for tender & juicy.
quote:
Originally posted by funtuff:
Noted. Smiler What temp do you tend to pull and wrap at and are you getting that temp from the flat or point?

I don't wrap very often in my electric, unless it's just to rest the brisket. If I'm cooking comps, I will wrap in foil when the temp reaches 165*-170* in the middle of the flat.

Most cooks I run around with doesn't pay much attention to the temp of the point, but when the thickest part of the flat is tender the point will be ready to eat.
^^^ Yep, what he said. I normally don't wrap. Keep meaning to try wrapping with butcher paper, but haven't got around to it yet. When the temp in the flat get's around maybe 192-195, grab a skewer and probe the flat for tenderness. Should go through like it's going through room temperature butter. It'll take a few times to figure it out. If it still feels tight, close it up and cook for another 20-30 minutes and check again. Probe it in a few spots, pretty soon, you'll be an expert.

PS. Listen to Cal, he knows a thing or two. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by funtuff:
Should I try again with a brisket from the same place, but use the lower shelf? Thanks.

I'd get a good quality brisket elsewhere and cook it. Why have TWO failures in a row. If it goes well then if you want to experiment with the local brand, buyer beware. I'm guessing it was the meat but also calibrate an use two temp probes.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.