Skip to main content

Hi all, after quite a few tries, and only a few "not too bad, but..."'s, I believe I've finally hit on a process that works with my AmeriQue for brisket flats. Decided to record it here in hopes someone else can benefit. I got a medium-sized (about 6 lbs untrimmed) cryovac choice flat from BJ's. It had a very uniform thickness and a good fat cap. I trimmed the fat cap to 1/4 - 1/2 inch. I applied a simple rub of 1:1:1/2:1/2 kosher salt, fresh coarse ground black pepper, ancho chile powder, and garlic powder, and let set refrigerated for about 3 hours. I started the smoke at 11 pm, using 3.5 oz white oak (3 small pieces), at 200*. Fat side down. Expecting brisket for breakfast I checked it at 8:15 am and found the probe reading 152*. I boosted the temp to 225* at 8:45 am, and watched the stall begin around 165* for about 4 hours. At 5:30 pm I boosted the temp again to 235* (probe was at 190, but toothpick test said still underdone). I pulled the brisket 6:30 pm (probe 196*) when the toothpick test (actually thermapen) said done.

The result after about 1 1/4 hours FTC, was perfect. Very juicy, great flavor, just the right amount of smoke. Good thick dark brown bark all around, but tender and sliceable. Still a thin layer of fat on the fat side, but no dryness to speak of on the side away from the heat. All in all the best brisket I've done so far. Sorry no pics - we were too busy eating! Best of all, a good night's sleep and ready in time for dinner!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wasn't "hoping" to have it for breakfast but I was afraid I might. I was trying a scheme to get around the inconvenience (to me) of either starting a brisket late at night and still having it done way too early for dinner the next evening, or having to get up at some ungodly (to me) early hour to start it on the day I want it. It was an experiment to set the temp at 200 overnight and then boost it in the morning, attempting to "steer" the IT towards having it done an hour or so before dinner.

It not only worked, but the result was the tastiest flat I've ever done. Just thought I'd share the process.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.