Cookshack Barbecue & Smoke-Cooking Center    forum.cookshack.com    Cookshack Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Additional Smoking Topics  Hop To Forums  Brisket    Fridge life for Brisket? Super Bowl Smoke???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fridge life for Brisket? Super Bowl Smoke??? Login/Join

posted
HI All- Man, I am pretty surprised I have not seen any Super Bowl Smoke threads. I hope you guys are not going lame....lol.
OKay, I smoked a brisket on Thursday and chopped it up...it was absolutely killer. I would up cooking the point and textra three hours and chopped that up in with the flat. The key here is that was Thursday. Is this safe to serve for the Super Bowl? The fiance (whom carries most all of the sense in the family)things that I should freeze it today and thaw it tomorrow.
Seems paranoid to me. Let me know if you can...
I am also smoking a couple of pork butts and beans. Some of the other folks are bringing stuff but I am making all the meat...

Posts: 123 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be fine on Sunday.
I am very conservative about spoilage but you run no risk Thursday to Sunday.
Enjoy.
dick

Posts: 170 | Location: Albany NY | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve, I don't see any reason to freeze it today if your going to eat it tomorrow. If you are in doubt you can give a little to your fiance a few hours before you give it to the guys. If she is ok than you are all set Wink

Posts: 167 | Location: Boston, Ma | Registered: August 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was actually my plan. If she really cars about our guests, she will be willing to take a "test run".
I can't miss the party or the game as I am cooking.

LOL- thanks Guys!

Posts: 123 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got my smokette and I am doing a flat brisket, mater a fact two three pounders. I rubbed one with John Henry's Burbon Rub and the other with Summer Peach Rub and put them in ziplock bags last night. I will let you know how they turn out.

Posts: 1 | Location: Deltona | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Livin' the BBQ Dream
posted Hide Post
Check out this link:

Food Safety and Information Service -- Fridge info

Cooked Meat, Poultry, and Fish Leftovers
Pieces and cooked casseroles 3-4 days

Posts: 14454 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow that's a lot of important info.

Thank you,
Brian E

Posts: 315 | Location: California | Registered: June 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No doubt good information erring on the side of caution.
About 2 items i am puzzled.
Corned beef in pouch with pickling juices.5-7 days?
Those i buy in the market have many weeks of sell by date.
How is the market cabinet different from my refer?
Pepperoni 2-3 weeks?
I don't know anyone who refrigerates it at all.
Real deli's and even some supermarkets, not to mention every Italian home in the world just hang it in a dry airy place.
I'd better check my pulse,i MUST be dead!

dick

Posts: 170 | Location: Albany NY | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Livin' the BBQ Dream
posted Hide Post
Dick,

That's the official food safety answer. If you chose to do something different, that's okay for you, but I certainly never recommend exceeding the recommendations. Leads to food poisoning.

FWIW, the corned beef is cryovac'd and the site is talking about refrigerator safety at home, not in grocery stores, they have other sites for that. If it has a sell by date, that's the date to go with.

Posts: 14454 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smokinokie.
I think my corned beef question got buy you.
The quoted recommendation was:
Corned beef in the pouch with pickling juices,5-7 days.
When i go to the market and purchase the corned beef as described it has many weeks of shelf life ahead.... as in a month or more.
If i bring that cryopack home does the clock start again but only run 5-7 days?
That seemed to be what was said.
Best.
dick

O-H
I-O
posted Hide Post
quote:
Storage Times For Refrigerated Foods
NOTE: These short but safe time limits will help keep home-refrigerated food from spoiling or becoming dangerous to eat.

This quote was listed above the times on that web site.

There will always be a "safety factor" thrown in. There's just too much liability involved with perishable foods to publish longer times.

The store owners walk- in cooler or refrigerated case may have broke down for a couple hours......the product may not have spoiled, but shelf life was just decreased.

The home owner might be a mizer and keep his refrigerator turned down just low enough to keep the milk from spoiling. (which is not cold enough for keeping meat too long in.)

Any meat I buy that is store wrapped and not cryo'd never stays unfrozen for more than 2-3 days in my frige. Like mentioned above. Err on the side of caution.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my butt to keep!

Posts: 772 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post