Skip to main content

HI All- Man, I am pretty surprised I have not seen any Super Bowl Smoke threads. I hope you guys are not going lame....lol.
OKay, I smoked a brisket on Thursday and chopped it up...it was absolutely killer. I would up cooking the point and textra three hours and chopped that up in with the flat. The key here is that was Thursday. Is this safe to serve for the Super Bowl? The fiance (whom carries most all of the sense in the family)things that I should freeze it today and thaw it tomorrow.
Seems paranoid to me. Let me know if you can...
I am also smoking a couple of pork butts and beans. Some of the other folks are bringing stuff but I am making all the meat...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No doubt good information erring on the side of caution.
About 2 items i am puzzled.
Corned beef in pouch with pickling juices.5-7 days?
Those i buy in the market have many weeks of sell by date.
How is the market cabinet different from my refer?
Pepperoni 2-3 weeks?
I don't know anyone who refrigerates it at all.
Real deli's and even some supermarkets, not to mention every Italian home in the world just hang it in a dry airy place.
I'd better check my pulse,i MUST be dead!

dick
Dick,

That's the official food safety answer. If you chose to do something different, that's okay for you, but I certainly never recommend exceeding the recommendations. Leads to food poisoning.

FWIW, the corned beef is cryovac'd and the site is talking about refrigerator safety at home, not in grocery stores, they have other sites for that. If it has a sell by date, that's the date to go with.
Smokinokie.
I think my corned beef question got buy you.
The quoted recommendation was:
Corned beef in the pouch with pickling juices,5-7 days.
When i go to the market and purchase the corned beef as described it has many weeks of shelf life ahead.... as in a month or more.
If i bring that cryopack home does the clock start again but only run 5-7 days?
That seemed to be what was said.
Best.
dick
quote:
Storage Times For Refrigerated Foods
NOTE: These short but safe time limits will help keep home-refrigerated food from spoiling or becoming dangerous to eat.

This quote was listed above the times on that web site.

There will always be a "safety factor" thrown in. There's just too much liability involved with perishable foods to publish longer times.

The store owners walk- in cooler or refrigerated case may have broke down for a couple hours......the product may not have spoiled, but shelf life was just decreased.

The home owner might be a mizer and keep his refrigerator turned down just low enough to keep the milk from spoiling. (which is not cold enough for keeping meat too long in.)

Any meat I buy that is store wrapped and not cryo'd never stays unfrozen for more than 2-3 days in my frige. Like mentioned above. Err on the side of caution.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.