Skip to main content

So we just returned from a vacation to Austin, Texas, which included a visit to Lockhart, Texas. The absolute highlight of the trip was lunch at La Barbecue before the Longhorn's football game. Black's in Lockhart was great, as was Terry Black's in Austin. Also hit a joint in Junction, TX. Suffice it to say that EVERY single day in Texas, we had brisket, pork ribs and sausage! But the question is, what is that brown paper that all of the BBQ joints seemed to be using? How is it used?

While I'm new to my SM025, when I open the door during a smoke, it seems to overcompensate the temperature when I close the door and resume cooking (has a massive temperature spike on my last smoke, but the result was still delicious). How does this relate to the use of the wax paper?

Also, the brisket in Texas was extremely juicy, do you think it was injected? Thanks in advance for the help. I am currently in the middle or reading every single post on the forums.... lol.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sherpa, I have an Amerique (SM066) and I find if I open the door during the cook, it will indeed take a long time to recover and the resultant temp rise will be high, but for only about 20 minutes or so. Just a reason for me to avoid opening for any reason. I don't use recipes that require a mop since the AQ (and I assume the SM025) are so moist inside anyway.

On the use of "brown paper" (I don't think it's wax paper) I recall some posts here (use the "search" feature) that discussed red paper used by some to wrap brisket, which was claimed to increase juiciness.

As for injecting, I haven't done it and after a considerable bit of experimenting, I've found a method that works in my AQ for juicy brisket without it. However I do beieve it is fairly common, even commercially. On the few occasions I've had injected brisket (that I knew) I didn't like the resuting flavor - just seemed a little blander and somehow not quite the beefy taste I like. If you try injecting or paper, let us know how you like it.

PS: Welcome to the forum!
quote:
Also, the brisket in Texas was extremely juicy, do you think it was injected? Thanks in advance for the help. I am currently in the middle or reading every single post on the forums.... lol.

I really doubt that they take the time to inject the quantity of briskets that they need to cook everyday.
I would guess that they are better quality of briskets instead. I have read some where that Franklin uses prime grade for his place.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.