Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My rec, cook it at 225, take it out at about 190, foil it for an hour and enjoy! I'd leave 7 - 8 hours and start checking internal temp at 6 hours. Point is so fatty and tender that you don't need a long very cook. Just my (very limited) experience. This assumes no marinating or injecting. All the excellent and experienced brisket cooks here will chime in and either kill me or agree! That's how I learn!
I've never smoked a point as a singular cut. There are comp cooks (Fast Eddy being one) who separate packers into flats and points and finish the former for burnt ends.

When smoking a packer, I usually find the flat to test tender around the 202-204 mark +/- At that stage, the point is 4 - 6 degrees higher. Me, I'd take the point to 208 - 210. It will test tender below that. It all depends on how much fat you want to render out of it.
OK, color me red-faced. Red Face Experience speaks volumes. But now, I'm confused by the idea that a solo point should be cooked to a higher temp than a solo flat. Is it just to render more fat? In my limited experience, with a packer, the point is always tender and juicy before the flat is. Jeez, I hate it when my learning curve takes a sudden uphill turn!
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
OK, color me red-faced. Red Face Experience speaks volumes. But now, I'm confused by the idea that a solo point should be cooked to a higher temp than a solo flat. Is it just to render more fat? In my limited experience, with a packer, the point is always tender and juicy before the flat is.

Slicing a point at which point it's tender can be done, I'm guessing, around 195 and up. It would make for great eating for chopped beef, sandwiches or a stand alone meal. If the intended use is burnt ends, the point is usually taken as a whole to 210 +/- and then cubed and put back into the smoker. Yes, the intention is to render as much fat as possible without drying it out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.